• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Belton, Reverend Canon Francis George - St. Patrick's Highgate

blackpin123

If anyone has access to historical church records that might include personal details for the Reverend Francis Belton, in particular I am interested in learning his parents' names and a bit more about his educational background. Thank-you in advance for any help.

blackpin123 from Canada

The 1891 census lists a Francis George Belton with his Mother Louisa Belton living in Metheringham Lincolnshire. As he is listed as a catholic priest I am not sure any RC church records would be online. The Birmingham records are kept at St Chad's in Birmingham and they might be able to help. (Rev John Sharp is the archivist and he can be e-mailed on [email protected])

A family tree on ancestry indicates his parents were Louisa and Francis William Belton with Francis dying in 1881.

Janice

Thank-you for this link. An interesting man, and hopefully connected to the one I'm looking for. The Rev. Canon Francis George Belton was born 1882 in Lincolnshire and in 1916 was Vicar of St. Patrick's Highgate when he published " A Manual for Confessors" . He died in in Birmingham in 1962, and at the time of his death was at Livingstone Road Kings Heath. My apologies for not adding more detail to my original post.

The 1891 census lists a Francis George Belton with his Mother Louisa Belton living in Metheringham Lincolnshire. As he is listed as a catholic priest I am not sure any RC church records would be online. The Birmingham records are kept at St Chad's in Birmingham and they might be able to help. (Rev John Sharp is the archivist and he can be e-mailed on [email protected])

A family tree on ancestry indicates his parents were Louisa and Francis William Belton with Francis dying in 1881.

Janice

Thank-you, Janice. I had not found that tree on ancestry, but I do have the census info. "My" Francis Belton is definitely the one on the 1891 census living with his mother, Louisa, so my goal is to confirm this fellow and the Rev. Cannon Belton are one and the same person. By 1901, "my" Francis was working as a Chemist Steel Worker. Then, in 1911, Francis Belton is a Catholic priest on the census, but the published book in 1916 was directed to Anglican priests. The Preface begins: This book has been written at the request of several brother priests who, with myself, lament the fact that we have no Anglican work of practical guidance for confessors. He is one interesting man!

Thanks again for your interest, Janice.

Had a flash of genius and realised that Anglican clergy are listed in Crockford's directory. This website might help https://www.crockford.org.uk/standard.asp?id=1243 However I have found an entry for Francis in the 1932 addition (via the website I subscribe to - so only limited editions available). I will attach a copy of the image.

Thank-you once again, Janice, for taking the time to help. The info on his education is terrific information. I have also heard from a church warden who has confirmed that St. Patrick's was High Anglo-Catholic, and "almost indistinguishable from the Roman Church and most of its practices, but we are definitely Church of England."

Hi everyone!

I realise this is a very old thread, but nothing ventured nothing gained. I am doing a little bit of research into Francis George Belton born 16th June 1881 @ Lincolnshire, he was the son of Louisa Canham & Francis William Belton [there was another Francis George Belton too born in 1880 but he also died in 1880] What I'm after really is a photo of him so I can compare with a photo that I have. My grand aunt was a housekeeper to Francis when they lived on Belgrave Rd, I'd just like some sort of clarification that the people in the photo are indeed who I think that they are.

fingers and toes crossed for a reply.
thank you.

Joom

Welcome to the forum Joom. Your picture does not seem to have appeared

Hi Mikejee

I didn't attach the photo that I have, I was asking if anyone had a photo so that I could compare it. :) I didn't want to add the photo that I have incase it wasn't right. [if you see what I mean]

Looking at the caption beneath the picture it appears that he is standing.

ah that IS good then, I couldn't read that far down the blurb, I can only read to where he said that he found his vocation.
if this photo comes out massive I apologise I cannot get it to resize.

Violet Poole b_1898 .jpg

Sometimes you have to download the picture to be able to see the bottom. Your picture comes out well, and looks like the same chap.

Sometimes you have to download the picture to be able to see the bottom. Your picture comes out well, and looks like the same chap.

Aha! I was just about to post and ask you if it looks to be the same chap.. [wasn't sure if it was wishful thinking on MY part or not] BUT I'm glad that you also think it is the same person. I can now positively identify him..
I also know that he died in 1962 aged 80yrs, so he had a great innings. Thank you so much for posting the snippet.. and I'll try to remember that downloading sometimes gives you more info. :)

Last edited:
What a coincidence!
Just watched [recorded] "Mass" from St Albans, Highgate which includes the old parish of St Patricks. Rev. Belton was vicar of St Patricks from 1913-1945. There is a good history of St Patricks Church on the St Albans website although mainly about the building. It mentions a book called " Saint Patrick's Church of England Church, Frank Street, Balsall Heath, by Paul Brookes and Dennis Barker, 2013 (Privately Printed) - there is a copy in the Birmingham Library.

What a coincidence!
Just watched [recorded] "Mass" from St Albans, Highgate which includes the old parish of St Patricks. Rev. Belton was vicar of St Patricks from 1913-1945. There is a good history of St Patricks Church on the St Albans website although mainly about the building. It mentions a book called " Saint Patrick's Church of England Church, Frank Street, Balsall Heath, by Paul Brookes and Dennis Barker, 2013 (Privately Printed) - there is a copy in the Birmingham Library.

Thank you for that info, I'm not related to Francis at all but his housekeeper was my grand aunt. I was trying to pinpoint her life and it seems that she was his housekeeper for many many years, she never had children and I think she passed over in 1965, She came from a big family but was orphaned when she was 9yrs old. My paternal grandmother was born in Birmingham [as were generations of her family] I still have a missing sister but it might be that she died either in the Workhouse or Marston Green Cottage Homes. I know that both my Gran and her sister were placed there after they became orphans. I need to do some more research.

hi joom...if you need any help with your gt aunt you could always give us her name and when she was born and post it under the surname interests section of the forum...we are always happy to help

lyn

hi joom...if you need any help with your gt aunt you could always give us her name and when she was born and post it under the surname interests section of the forum...we are always happy to help
lyn

Hi Lyn,

Many thanks for that I may well have a nose around there.. :)

Back