• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Belmont Row Wesleyan Chapel

R

red-kites

Does anyone have any information on Belmont Row Wesleyan Chapel? My gg grandfather, James Fiddler, was married there in 1906.
Nick Fielding

Hello Red-Kites,

If you click on search, at the top of the forum, and put in Belmont Row, some interesting facts will come up that maybe of interest to you.

Regards Rita (trebor)

Last edited:
Hi,

just spotted your post about Belmont Row Chapel.

My ancestors were married there in 1890,
does anyone know if there is a picture of the chapel in existance?

kind regards

chris

Hi Chris

Is this the one, St Peters Mission Church Belmont Row taken in 1957.

Phil

Attachments

• Ashted Belmont Row.jpg
    Ashted Belmont Row.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 44
Hi Phill,

Thats Amazing :) Thank you so much :) Really great to see where they were married. What a shame the buildings were demolished

Thanks for your help, Very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Chris

This Mission Church was close to the junction of Lawley Street. The old Wesleyan Chapel in Belmont Row faced the triangle formed by A. B. Row and Prospect Row.

Keiron

You are of course correct, my photo was only a possibility and that's why I was asking the OP. As you say the Belmont Wesleyan Chapel was at the top of Belmont Row at number 92 which was next to the Bicycle Factory that still remains today. The chapel ended up as a waste paper depot until it was demolished, interestingly it backed on to another often posted back court on this forum "Ashted Place".

Unfortunately I do not have an image of this chapel and the best I can come up with is a slight glimpse alongside the waste paper storage depot in 1961.

belmont chapel.JPG

Nechells Belmont Row.jpg

Keiron

You are of course correct, my photo was only a possibility and that's why I was asking the OP. As you say the Belmont Wesleyan Chapel was at the top of Belmont Row at number 92 which was next to the Bicycle Factory that still remains today. The chapel ended up as a waste paper depot until it was demolished, interestingly it backed on to another often posted back court on this forum "Ashted Place".

Unfortunately I do not have an image of this chapel and the best I can come up with is a slight glimpse alongside the waste paper storage depot in 1961.

View attachment 131241

View attachment 131242
Cheers Phil, I have a very small image of the chapel in the early 19th century on the Piggot-Smith plan at : https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/ab-row/ - I have included some details of the chapel's history in the text.

I know this is a few years late, but I have just come across this photo of the Chapel.View attachment 156770
Thanks for the pic Trebor, bit before my time but it would have been a couple of minutes walk from Gopsal street, where I lived. (Still hoping for a pic of my street, pre dem days). #8 photo I do remember, think I have seen it before but lovely to see it again. Kind regards to all. Sue

Thanks for the pic Trebor, bit before my time but it would have been a couple of minutes walk from Gopsal street, where I lived. (Still hoping for a pic of my street, pre dem days). #8 photo I do remember, think I have seen it before but lovely to see it again. Kind regards to all. Sue
I lived 2/21 Howe Street very near Gopsal Street.

I lived 2/21 Howe Street very near Gopsal Street.
Hi Trebor, When did you live there? We could have practically been neighbours. Your house number doesn’t mean anything to me but if you said the Kings Arms, Charlie Bush, or the Railway Tavern, I could get my bearings better. I am so happy to hear of someone from my patch. There isn’t any photos of Gopsal street on this fabulous forum. Nothing on Cardigan street, I think I have found one on Howe street. I have found some fab ones of Belmont Row and AB Row though. We left in 1967, our family moved to Sheldon. I was married in 1969, so wasn’t there for long. I will always be an Ashted girl. Kind regards, Sue

Back