• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bellis and Morcom

My Dad was at Beliss & Morcom during the war and worked on submarine engines.
He was in the Home Guard, but I don't know if it was based at Belliss & Morcom. He used to patrol over the dam at the Reservoir. I wish I had listened more carefully to the stories, but it's too late now, as he died in 1979.

yes i know what you mean rosie
My passed away in 97. If i had known i would have sat him and mom doen for a month with a tape recorder, pen and paper and noted everything.

if you have kids just make sure you leave them some info to save them having the trouble we are having :)
Phill

Last edited:
My sister's husband served his time at B&M and worked there in the drawing office in the '60s till he left for a job with BCC Water Dept (later given away to Severn Trent). He once described how they tested pumps and marine engines in the nearby cut. There's quite a lot more about B&M over on Mac Joseph's Old Ladywood site: https://www.oldladywood.co.uk/bellis.htm

I remember playing cricket for Newey & Eyre quite regularly at the Bellis & Morcomb sprts ground in Highfield Lane in the late 60s. Is it still there?

Thank you for the link Oisin. I remember Dad saying it made a noise when they did test!
Rosie.

Hi guys
i thought i might just ad a little bit more to the previous thread of mine
the don mapstone whom worked in the accounts department was a friend of len weston
whom was the chair man of the ward end ex servicemans club ward end and held office in the british legion
ranks and i do not mean just the club don served in the royal navvy good at accounts
so when len knew where don was he asked him to get involved with the club so he became the secretary for len at the club which was one of the biggest legion club in the midlands i have heard recently that len had died
but i was wondering about don and does any body recall him at belliss
i can recall belliss myself only for the fact when i was about 12 we would drop down the bridge and scramble onto there barges and un lease them from there mooring on sundays and see them float of and some times
on to the main route of the cannal towards gas strret and the monument rd bridge
when i think about it now just how boreing we was kids and troublesom to other people
but i reflect back on toidayus youth and kids of that age
they are experienceing the same slot as we did no where to go and bored stiff
the only things we never done was arm to old people nor did we cheek our olders for the fear of getting a clip around the ear ole so i think it was apart of growing up at twelve
but we never took pills or sunstances of any kind like todays kids
we just thoughjt of it for a laugh of seeing the barge drift from the mooring and thinking when they came back to work on monday they would see there barge out in the middle of the cut
have a nice day guys best wishes astonion

My Dad was an apprentice at Belliss & Morcom before the war, my grandfather was an engineer there. I believe he worked on a Prototype Diesel engine for a submarine X1,he went up the Clyde to oversee it,Must have been sometime in the Twenties! My dad died in 2005,but my cousins have some records of it all.

Bellis & Morcom, Sissons of Gloucester, and machines from other European manufacturers all feature in this hour long video entitled Join the Industrial Revolution in Java!, showing the fascinating process of producing sugar products from sugar cane using somewhat dated machinery.

Maurice :cool:

Bellis & Morcom, Sissons of Gloucester, and machines from other European manufacturers all feature in this hour long video entitled Join the Industrial Revolution in Java!, showing the fascinating process of producing sugar products from sugar cane using somewhat dated machinery.

Maurice :cool:
thanks our Maurice

Last edited:
I thought they were Winson Green or Smethwick? They are still around in Redditch making oil-less compressors. They have an open day every year, so I blagged my way in a couple of times to have a look around.

It is and incredibly interesting factory

View attachment 150042My Dad worked at Belliss and Morcom from 1916 to 1923. as an apprentice. They built engines and they were not allowed to know what the engines were for. It turned out they were building 1st world war tank engines. Rules were very strict. If you were over 1minute late you were shut out and lost a days pay. My day wanted a day of leave for a very important reason but the management would not permit it. I have the refusal letter.
Maurice

Last edited:
Back