• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

bellis and morcom

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
inside the bellis and morcom factory...ledsam st 1920....this is a nice one for anyone whos ancestors may have worked there....

lyn

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
morning wendy..i thought it may be of interest to someone..im not sure but i think in one of the older brummagem mags ive got there a pic of a morcom factory that used to be in summer lane....dont quote me though...lol...later on i will see if i cant find it...

thanks for that link i will have a gander at it...off soon to do a bit of shopping in cas it gets as hot as yesterday....

lyn

W

Wendy

No probs. There is an interesting link on the thread to a newspaper article about old documents found in the factory ruins.

Weoley

knowlegable brummie
I grew up right alongside Bellis & Morcom's old sports ground and social club off Highfield Lane in Quinton, right at the back of Four Dwellings School, sandwiched between that and the Quinton Expressway. It was a big old white wooden building where we used to go to their children's Christmas party. It dated back before WW2, but I don't know how long before that. Everything else around there was built afterwards. I could watch the football teams play from our side window. By the time we moved in, in 1972, the old tennis courts there were already out of use and derelict, and the club had seen better days. When it was new it must have had lovely country views across to Clent, before they built the M5 and the woodgate valley estate.

The place was demolished about twenty years ago, and a load of houses stand there now.

B

badger

I certaily hope nobody lost a finger or worse when that was taken as they all seem to be concentrating on the camera and not the machinery.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Bellis & Morcom, Sissons of Gloucester, and machines from other European manufacturers all feature in this hour long video entitled Join the Industrial Revolution in Java!, showing the fascinating process of producing sugar products from sugar cane using somewhat dated machinery.

Maurice :cool:

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
Bellis & Morcom, Sissons of Gloucester, and machines from other European manufacturers all feature in this hour long video entitled Join the Industrial Revolution in Java!, showing the fascinating process of producing sugar products from sugar cane using somewhat dated machinery.

Maurice :cool:
thanks our Maurice

Last edited:

Morturn

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought they were Winson Green or Smethwick? They are still around in Redditch making oil-less compressors. They have an open day every year, so I blagged my way in a couple of times to have a look around.

It is and incredibly interesting factory