• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Beechcroft House 15 Belle Walk Moseley

Aw Mooky I would love to speak with you about day to day living etc at Beechcroft and further details. Please contact me
Is there any chance please you can contact me so I have closure of where I was born

Hi everyone, my mum and dad passed away in 2020 and I’ve been going through their things since and found that my mum had a son adopted in 1965. She has Beechcroft, 15 Belle Walk on the baby weight book from the hospital, which led me to this feed. It’s mentioned that Beechcroft was a home for unmarried mothers, my mother had lost a lot of school time due to illness, 3 major operations and was by all accounts seduced whilst being naive to the consequences.

I found my half brothers adoption papers, birth certificate and pictures in my mums things. She had wrote him birthday cards unsent every year and obviously adored him but through social pressure at the time gave him up.

I never knew about him until after my parents deaths and wondered where to go from her? Can I trace someone who was adopted? I know his birth name and I know that his first name was changed for his middle name Christopher. However I don’t have any details of the surname of the couple who adopted him and a girl at the same time.

The adoption was done through the courts but I’m guessing that this paperwork wouldn’t be available anywhere?

Any help/advice welcome of where to go next from here and as he could be nearly 60.

Thank you everyone.

Hello from NZ. I was born in Beechcroft in 1960 and have successfully traced my birth family. Go onto Ancestry & do a DNA test And if anyone else in the family have done one there will be matches. You can do a search on there as well using the birth cert and you will also have to use your mums maiden name. Prepare for anything, think it through thoroughly, he may not know. My bm kept it hidden from her only daughter but had luckily told her new husband and on my bf side i was fortunate he had told all his kids about me. Its an exciting journey if you are wanting to find him. You may get help from adoption services over there as well. You will be able to get his adoption records as well.

Hi everyone, my mum and dad passed away in 2020 and I’ve been going through their things since and found that my mum had a son adopted in 1965. She has Beechcroft, 15 Belle Walk on the baby weight book from the hospital, which led me to this feed. It’s mentioned that Beechcroft was a home for unmarried mothers, my mother had lost a lot of school time due to illness, 3 major operations and was by all accounts seduced whilst being naive to the consequences.

I found my half brothers adoption papers, birth certificate and pictures in my mums things. She had wrote him birthday cards unsent every year and obviously adored him but through social pressure at the time gave him up.

I never knew about him until after my parents deaths and wondered where to go from her? Can I trace someone who was adopted? I know his birth name and I know that his first name was changed for his middle name Christopher. However I don’t have any details of the surname of the couple who adopted him and a girl at the same time.

The adoption was done through the courts but I’m guessing that this paperwork wouldn’t be available anywhere?

Any help/advice welcome of where to go next from here and as he could be nearly 60.

Thank you everyone.
hi jools you are luckier than most in that you have paper evidence of a legal adoption so it should not be too difficult to find out more information as the adoption records should be available to you but it will take time.....my first port of call would be to contact birmingham social services who should be able to help and advise you go through the process of a very delicate subject to both yourself and your brother and they will have to make sure you are prepared reason i know this is because we had the same situation in my own family which happily turned out fine...i wish you good luck and if possible please let us know how things turn out

lyn

Last edited:
Thank you both for your swift replies and you both have given me good routes to follow… yes I understand that it might be opening up a part of family history that’s hurtful, he may be ok, he may of passed away… I would like to know though, I will of course let you know how I get on…

My twin and I where born in Hay Mills three months early in 1948. Mom didn't know she was having twins, we only weighed 3lb something each. We were taken to The Sorrento, kept in incubators, and washed with Olive Oil. We stayed there until our birth date in May.
My dad (Vivian Bird) would cycle from Hay Mills to the Sorrento with expressed milk each day. Because he was dabbling in writing he wrote an article about us being born, and sent it to Womens Hour, It was used. So he gave up his job as a teacher to become a writer for the Birmingham Weekly Post. We soon moved to Acocks Green. We both owe The Sorrento our lives. I spent a lot of time at Belle View Mother and Baby home when I was 19, (I have always been the naughty twin) from Sept 1967 to May 1968. There is something about that on here as well.
Hi Mooky, I've been trying for years to find information on Beechcroft mother and baby home in Belle Walk - is this the same place that you spent time in?

Thanks for replying - so do you have personal memories of Beechcoft Home?
I do, but at the moment I am recovering from two life threating accidents, a knee replacement and selling my house. I can cope with no more. When I move(It takes ages) I maybe will find time to answer you. At the moment though I just can't even after all these years having to hand over a son at nearly 6 months has a dreadful affect on me. I hope you understand, regards Molly.

Back