• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Beechcroft House 15 Belle Walk Moseley

dipseydiva

knowlegable brummie
Hi, I wonder whether anyone out there has any memories or knowledge of Belle Walk, Moseley. I am most interested in the time around 1956 and in particular number 15, which I believe is no longer there. I am wondering whether it was a private house / rented house / bed and breakfast or something similar. The address was given on a birth certificate and I am trying to find out more. As it is quite recent I thought I better not give out any names. Many thanks.

Hi Mike, thank you so much for your quick reply. I had a hunch that was would it would be, though family story has it as the home of a wealthy widow! Again many thanks

hi folks..im trying to find out what sort of establishment an address i have was in 1953

the address i have is beechcroft house..15 bellswalk..moseley

any help would be much appreciated...

lyn:)

Lyn
Its Belle Walk, and in kellys 1955 says it was a home for unmarried mothers

I also have this address on a birth certificate.
I believe it was a workhouse for unmarried mother's untill they had the child then was aloud to go back home after birth. Makes them pretty impossible to find after adoption

Beechcroft was the home of Alderman Henry J Sayer. He was a tinplate & metal merchant & a former Lord Mayor of Birmingham [1906 - 1907]. Henry was very involved in civic life & lived at Beechroft from about 1900 until possibly 1946 but not sure of that date. It was listed as a Mother & Baby Home from 1951-1970. Postcard below is possibly about 1906-7.

Attachments

• belle walk 04.jpg
    belle walk 04.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I believe it was a workhouse for unmarried mother's untill they had the child then was aloud to go back home after birth. Makes them pretty impossible to find after adoption
I was a resident at Beechcroft from Oct 1967 to May 1968. My baby was born in Jan1968, adopted in may. I think it was a Council run home. The last thing I said to my beloved son was, please find me when you can. He found me at 20 yrs old. You couldn't have your baby born there I think everyone went to Marston Green Hospital. I would be happy to tell anyone what it was like, or help in aanyway I can. Rev Molly Langridge, nee Bird.

Hello, I hope someone can help.

my dad was adopted and I’ve discovered his biological mom was at 15 belle walk in moseley in January 1959, the month he was born. I’ve found out this was a home for unmarried mothers, but I am looking to find any more information on this home. I think his mom would have been there from 1958, whilst pregnant and would be interested to find out anything about the home at that time, photos, or even to find out if anyone else was there at the same time who might have known her.

can Anyone help with information or know where to look for more detailed records from the home in 1958-1959?
thank you.

Hello Molly,

I'm a journalist at ITV Central News. I'm doing some research for a feature I'm doing on Mother and Baby Homes and the women who had their babies there. Also looking to talk to those who were adopted. I would love to hear your story. I tried to track you down via the Lincolnshire diocese, but understand you don't work there now.
Hope you're ok
Best wishes Jane Hesketh

Hello Molly,

I'm a journalist at ITV Central News. I'm doing some research for a feature I'm doing on Mother and Baby Homes and the women who had their babies there. Also looking to talk to those who were adopted. I would love to hear your story. I tried to track you down via the Lincolnshire diocese, but understand you don't work there now.
Hope you're ok
Best wishes Jane He

Last edited:
Molly
We do recommend that members do not post their email address on the site as it can lead to spam opportunities from less-desirable persons. It is better to sed it via the "conversation" system (envelope at top right of page)

I was there in 6May 68. Please don't call it a workhouse.

Hi all,
My mother was born in Marsden green maternity hospital on 6th June 1950 and put into the mother and baby unit until she was adopted I think 3-6 months later. She is now 70 and has never tried to trace her mother as didn't know really know the history with these homes and I suppose always just felt rejected. I would like to try and peice together some history for her but don't really know where to go from here. Any advise appreciated

I was also adopted from this mother and baby home in 1964 i did manage to find some relatives via social media @ helen helsketh x

Three threads have been merged into this one thread, so there may be otherearlier information of interest. Viv.

My birth certificate shows that my birth mum was at 15 Belle Walk. I'm a Nov 62 baby and original name presumably given by birth mum was Colin Ian McDonald. Her name being Hilda. Would be fascinated to find out if anyone knew her and whether she had a happy life.

Hi,
I was born December 1955. Seems my mum was a resident at 15 Belle Walk. I was born at Sorrento Hospital, Wake Green Road. My mum was returned to Belle Walk. Interestingly, my mum NEVER mentioned this period of her life.

hello holtender and welcome to the forum i think we have a thread for sorento hospital ...enjoy

lyn

My twin and I where born in Hay Mills three months early in 1948. Mom didn't know she was having twins, we only weighed 3lb something each. We were taken to The Sorrento, kept in incubators, and washed with Olive Oil. We stayed there until our birth date in May.
My dad (Vivian Bird) would cycle from Hay Mills to the Sorrento with expressed milk each day. Because he was dabbling in writing he wrote an article about us being born, and sent it to Womens Hour, It was used. So he gave up his job as a teacher to become a writer for the Birmingham Weekly Post. We soon moved to Acocks Green. We both owe The Sorrento our lives. I spent a lot of time at Belle View Mother and Baby home when I was 19, (I have always been the naughty twin) from Sept 1967 to May 1968. There is something about that on here as well.

The 1956 Kellys lists it as:
15 Beechcroft House, home for unmarried mothers
Mike
Hi. I am new to this forum. I was wondering what this place was like because my dads biological mum Dorothy Mable mole was there when she was pregnant with my dad. My dad was born at sully hull hospital in 1956 and got adopted at 6 months. My dads birth name was Robert Bryan Mole. Just wondering how or am I able to find out more about my dads biological mum

Hi. I am new to this forum. I was wondering what this place was like because my dads biological mum Dorothy Mable mole was there when she was pregnant with my dad. My dad was born at sully hull hospital in 1956 and got adopted at 6 months. My dads birth name was Robert Bryan Mole. Just wondering how or am I able to find out more about my dads biological mum

I was a resident at Beechcroft from Oct 1967 to May 1968. My baby was born in Jan1968, adopted in may. I think it was a Council run home. The last thing I said to my beloved son was, please find me when you can. He found me at 20 yrs old. You couldn't have your baby born there I think everyone went to Marston Green Hospital. I would be happy to tell anyone what it was like, or help in aanyway I can. Rev Molly Langridge, nee Bird.
Aw Mooky I would love to speak with you about day to day living etc at Beechcroft and further details. Please contact me

Last edited:
Aw Mooky I would love to speak with you about day to day living etc at Beechcroft and further details. Please contact me
Hi Jobaby

Welcome to Birmingham HIstory Forum.

Thank you for post on the forum. We strongly advise members not to post their personal email addresses on the thread. Your email address and data could be harvested and used for scams, fraud, and identity theft. If you wish other members to contact you, then its best if you advise them to use the “Start Conversation” facility we provide. This then protects you and your privacy.

Last edited:
Hi Jobaby

Thank you for post on the forum. We strongly advise members not to post their personal email addresses on the thread. Your email address and data could be harvested and used for scams, fraud, and identity theft. If you wish other members to contact you, then its best if you advise them to use the “Start Conversation” facility we provide. This then protects you and your privacy.
Hi Jobaby

Hi Jobaby

Would you tell me more about it, like the day to day living etc. Were babies born there or did you have to go to a hospital for birthing, if so which one? Was it strict?

Back