• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bellamy Family

jim shelley.

Bluenose55
Hello, My birth name was Keith Bellamy, I was born in January 1955 at the sorrento maternity hospital. I understand my birth mother lived in the small heath area. I was adopted by Norman and Amanda Hicken at a very young age (6 months). It is not my intention to cause any upset, I just wondered if there are any siblings or half siblings out there who may have some info.
Thanks.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hello jim...a few years ago i was contacted by a member of the forum who noticed i was researching the same family name...he too was adopted at birth in 1953 and wanted to find out more about his birth mom which through my dad i was able to help to some degree...cut a long story short...he applied for his adoption papers which gave details of his birth moms circumstances which were quite sad but what he did not expect to find was that he also had a half brother and sister who were also adopted...after a long process we managed to track them down...this sort of thing is always a gamble but in our case it worked out well and they are now in contact and he has found a massive extended family after thinking he was an only child...have you thought about applying for your adoption records??..please bare in mind and i am sure you have that if you do go down that road you must be prepared to accept what you find out...good or bad...i wish you luck:)

all the best

lyn

Last edited:

jim shelley.

Bluenose55
hello jim...a few years ago i was contacted by a member of the forum who noticed i was researching the same family name...he too was adopted at birth in 1953 and wanted to find out more about his birth mom which through my dad i was able to help to some degree...cut a long story short...he applied for his adoption papers which gave details of his birth moms circumstances which were quite sad but what he did not expect to find was that he also had a half brother and sister who were also adopted...after a long process we managed to track them down...this sort of thing is always a gamble but in our case it worked out well and they are now in contact and he has found a massive extended family after thinking he was an only child...have you thought about applying for your adoption records??..please bare in mind and i am sure you have that if you do go down that road you must be prepared to accept what you find out...good or bad...i wish you luck:)

all the best

lyn
Hi Lyn,
Many thanks for that, My adoptive parents told me that I was a second child and there was an older sibling. How do I apply for adoption records? I have thought about doing this for years some am prepared for anything.
Regards,
Jim.

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jim, if you get the records or even your original birth certificate you will find your mothers name.
If you send this to Lyn/Astoness or myself by private message we can see what we can find out about her birth or even marriage and future children.
This has to be private because it may involve people still living.

There is only one other Bellamy birth in UK between 1940 and 1955 with mother also Bellamy
David Bellamy mother Bellamy registered Sept 1950 ref.
Keith Bellamy mother Bellamy registered Mar qtr 1955
you can buy these certificates from Birmingham Register office about £10 each, they will at least tell you your mothers name and address and verify if David is your brother.

Last edited:

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Hi Lyn,
Many thanks for that, My adoptive parents told me that I was a second child and there was an older sibling. How do I apply for adoption records? I have thought about doing this for years some am prepared for anything.
Regards,
Jim.
hi jim my advise as a starting point would be to contact any birmingham social services dept...i am sure they would be able to advise and point you in the right direction...

lyn

Key Hill Brian

Proud Brummie
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https://www.adoptionsearchreunion.org.uk/search/dap/&h=TAQEmtMBf

The facebook page REUNITING Lost Family, Friends & Family History in UK mainly is a FREE service by Volunteers who help find lost relatives - They found one for me in a few hours, and my friend who is adopted and could never get through the red tape of his Council found his Biological parents, & half dozen brothers in sisters in only a day!
Well worth a look and a try

Brian

Going girl

all the best

lyn
I too was adopted at 6 weeks old. Understand lived with aunt of birth mother until adopted.