• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bell Heath school camp

This is a photograph of Bell Heath taken in August 1988.
Anyone have any memories of this place, I just loved it.
View attachment 20052

Jesus! It gave me astart! I'd forgoten that I had ever been there. [ 1967ish] I recall snow and cross-country running,domitary, Scared on a horse on Clee Hills? and whilst up there our gym teacher pointed down to Brum and called it dirty something or other. I rounded on him but can't remember my words. A lad got sent home because his Mom sent him fags in a parcel.
Btw where is located and is it still going.

Our class (form 2A) at Follett Osler, Ladywood, was chosen to go to Bell Heath for three weeks in March 1960. It is situated close to Romsley, just outside Brum. To us inner city 13yr olds, it was a great adventure in the country. It was basically an outward bound centre, and I believe it is still going. It would have been the Clent hills that the previous correspondent reffered to, not Clee hill.

My brother-in-law used to go to the 'camp' at Bell Heath in the late 1940's. They wore uniforms whilst there and in reasonable weather had to sleep outside on the balconies which can be seen in the photos. He loved it there and went several times. Parents could only visit on Sundays. Unfortunately the photos are very small so the scans are not too good. I am surprised to see that the project is apparently still there and operational after all the years.
bellheath_2.jpg
bellheath1.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, great photos, what a memory mnemonic.

I went there for a week around 1970, was the best week away ever. I learned more in that week, then the previous 3 years at secondary school and loved every minute of it.

They still had the camp beds and outside loos. Lots of animals; I was given the chickens to look after, and still keep them as a result of the experience.

We did pond dipping at Sling Pool, learnt all about cadis fly lavers, lots of walking and even had a trip to the local swimming baths.

The head master was a guy called Mr Haywood, was into vintage cars. He had the most beautiful wife, who would sunbath in her bikini; with all these adolescent young boys, the cold showers were a necessity.

Re: Bell Heath. 1960s ada rd scool

yes i have some great memos ,i went 3 times in the early 60s with ada rd school .i think one of the teachers names was mr knocks ? also one of our teachers a mr cooper from ada rd went to teach there in the 60s .i often drice past there as i live near i still go up the clent/ waseley hills also sling common ,any one remember the tuck shop once a week visit up the lane i remember the c/county runs started me running and still am . great memmos

Jesus! It gave me astart! I'd forgoten that I had ever been there. [ 1967ish] I recall snow and cross-country running,domitary, Scared on a horse on Clee Hills? and whilst up there our gym teacher pointed down to Brum and called it dirty something or other. I rounded on him but can't remember my words. A lad got sent home because his Mom sent him fags in a parcel.
Btw where is located and is it still going.

The Bell Heath School is very much still going, we visited last week. Naturally having young children around there is a security issue but I was allowed in to see their History Wall and take a few photos which I shall attempt to post. My link is here via We Transfer.

Bell Heath outward bound centre is located just outside Romsley. It would have been the Clent Hills not the Clee Hills.

Back