• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Belgrave Hotel - Moseley Road And Belgrave Road

A very interesting article, and once more shows what fine buildings have been sacrificed in the name of progress.
jimbo

Link not working. Pity as I believe that this is the pub where;as a five year old my drinking career began. Standing outside with a bottle of pop whilst my Dad and his brother were inside,usually on a Sunday lunchtime

Another job to add to my l-o-n-g list of tasks. That disappeared a year ago when I had to rebuild the site in new coding to keep the likes Google happy. I do add to the site most days and in 12 months have added 414,793 words so I haven't been lazy. However, there is such a lot of material to be uploaded again. Unfortunately, most has to be retyped e.g. an apostrophe is not simply a ' but ''' to be recognised across all platforms. Onwards and upwards!

Another job to add to my l-o-n-g list of tasks. That disappeared a year ago when I had to rebuild the site in new coding to keep the likes Google happy. I do add to the site most days and in 12 months have added 414,793 words so I haven't been lazy. However, there is such a lot of material to be uploaded again. Unfortunately, most has to be retyped e.g. an apostrophe is not simply a ' but ''' to be recognised across all platforms. Onwards and upwards!

Thanks for getting in touch. I shall keep an eye out for any updates. No rush though,retired with time on my hands.
Thanks again.
Nodd

I used to use the Belgrave quite often in the early 60's as a lot of my family were regulars there, it was a massive pub but most of it wasn't used at that time. I do remember that the gaffer at that time a rather tall well built chap (I think his name was Jack?) was a bit of a stickler if you hadn't drunk up in the 10 minutes drinking up time (remember that) he would actually take your glass out of your hand.

Balsall Heath Belgrave PH Moseley Rd .jpg

I used to use the Belgrave quite often in the early 60's as a lot of my family were regulars there, it was a massive pub but most of it wasn't used at that time. I do remember that the gaffer at that time a rather tall well built chap (I think his name was Jack?) was a bit of a stickler if you hadn't drunk up in the 10 minutes drinking up time (remember that) he would actually take your glass out of your hand.

View attachment 130680
Thanks Phil, looks like the pub I remember. As I recall the road to the right with the Cortina is Belgrave Road and Moseley Road off to the left. My Dad and his twin used the entrance in Belgrave Road ,I stood outside,cold.

My great-grandfather, James Turner, ran the Belgrave Hotel in the late 1800 early 1900s with his wife Catherine and a large family including my grandad Samuel (Bertie). Also in the family was Ernest, Nellie, James. He ran it for one of the breweries but I do not know which one. I never could understand where he got the money from to run a big place like that - he was only a metal worker, he went to London area for a few years (working at his trade) and came back to manage the pub. When I was a kid I must have passed it many many times but I did not know of the family link - if anyone knows anything of the family I would appreciate hearing from them.
Thanks Phil, looks like the pub I remember. As I recall the road to the right with the Cortina is Belgrave Road and Moseley Road off to the left. My Dad and his twin used the entrance in Belgrave Road ,I stood outside,cold.
You forgot to mention the packet of crisps and a lemonade - who needed a baby sitter then!

My great-grandfather, James Turner, ran the Belgrave Hotel in the late 1800 early 1900s with his wife Catherine and a large family including my grandad Samuel (Bertie). Also in the family was Ernest, Nellie, James. He ran it for one of the breweries but I do not know which one. I never could understand where he got the money from to run a big place like that - he was only a metal worker, he went to London area for a few years (working at his trade) and came back to manage the pub. When I was a kid I must have passed it many many times but I did not know of the family link - if anyone knows anything of the family I would appreciate hearing from them.

You forgot to mention the packet of crisps and a lemonade - who needed a baby sitter then!

Hi Jardene
If you go to Phil's post#6 there is a photo of the pub. At the time it was taken the place was an M&B house.

Nodd K-D

Thank
Hi Jardene
If you go to Phil's post#6 there is a photo of the pub. At the time it was taken the place was an M&B house.

Nodd K-D
you - it is a lovely photo. Probably the reason we did not know much about it was my dad was an Ansells man!

Back