• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Beggars Bush

Pedrocut, your post 21 mentions 'a' Beggar's Bush but it's not the one at New Oscott. I remember seeing this name on an early hand-drawn map and it appeared to the right of what is now Birmingham Road, Wylde Green. This was the Holly Fast Common, now Holifast Road and

I found this picture some time ago and then when I came to post it I couldn't find the thread. Viv pointed me in the right direction and then I lost the picture...... sign of the times maybe? However, I now have both thread and picture. This was taken from a book in Sutton Library and shows what I believe was the site of the 'original' Beggars Bush at the junction of Penns Lane and Birmingham Road. (This picture may be better on another thread, if so please feel free to move it - thanks).
20200211_154018.jpg

I found this picture some time ago and then when I came to post it I couldn't find the thread. Viv pointed me in the right direction and then I lost the picture...... sign of the times maybe? However, I now have both thread and picture. This was taken from a book in Sutton Library and shows what I believe was the site of the 'original' Beggars Bush at the junction of Penns Lane and Birmingham Road. (This picture may be better on another thread, if so please feel free to move it - thanks).
View attachment 147327
Hello Lady Penelope,
Could you provide any evidence for thinking the original Beggars Bush was located at the Penns Lane/Birmingham Road Junction please? such as: -
which book in Sutton Library?
what time frame would this be?
I have researched the Beggars Bush back to 1830 and it stood at New Oscott until that time so Id appreciate any information you could offer.
thank you

Keith Berry photographed the Princess Alice Orphanage site which was the other side of Jockey Road from the Beggars Bush pub. His photos and comments below. Click the pic to enlarge
View attachment 114244

I have a very vague childhood memory of the orphanage buildings. Does anyone know when they were demolished? I seem to recall late 80s/early 90s? Is there a thread about the place?

Hello Lady Penelope,
Could you provide any evidence for thinking the original Beggars Bush was located at the Penns Lane/Birmingham Road Junction please? such as: -
which book in Sutton Library?
what time frame would this be?
I have researched the Beggars Bush back to 1830 and it stood at New Oscott until that time so Id appreciate any information you could offer.
thank you

Hello Rossbret,

I first saw the name Beggars Bush on a map from about 1804 which I had from Sutton Library and will try to locate this later. However, here are a few of the mentions of the 'other' Beggars Bush. The first map is from Midland Pubs, and the other information is from this site on another thread. Hope these help.

The first mention I have of the New Oscott Bush was on the 1840 census. Very interesting that you've managed to pre-date this. Always something new to learn!

The Mr Cottrell mentioned in the newspaper article lived at Broadfields House which stood where the parade of shops is opposite to the Co-op at Wylde Green.

I will try to find the original discussion on the above and let you know.

Attachments

• Beggars Bush Maps copy.jpg
    Beggars Bush Maps copy.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 11
  • The other beggars bush.png
    The other beggars bush.png
    670.5 KB · Views: 11
Second Post for Rossbret,

The photo I posted which you queried was from a book of photographs from Sutton Library and relates only to the older buildings shown not to the pub in question (First Beggars Bush).

There's quite a discussion earlier on this thread concerning the 'other' Bush. Here's another couple of maps with this pub marked which I think appeared on this thread. Also the map I referred to in my earlier post from the very early 1800's (believed to be that date due to the direction of one of the roads not shown on this sketch/map - it's part of a larger one photocopied from Sutton Library and was drawn to show the land holdings in the area.)

Attachments

• Oscott-Greenwoods-Map-of-Warwickshire-1821-179x300.jpg
    Oscott-Greenwoods-Map-of-Warwickshire-1821-179x300.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Mag0003.jpg
    Mag0003.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 15
This is a PS to the last post - if you enlarge the 'Beggars Bush' area you can definitely see what appears to be a bush a 'bush' in the middle of the road, complete with shadow. Or am I seeing things? Also, to clarify, the dark line is actually the boundary between Erdington and Sutton not a road. I may have confused things earlier on this thread.

Back