• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Skinners arms

josietrue

gone but not forgotten
i have just found that one of my relatives was a beer retailer at no 16 new canal street in 1884
would like to know if it was a pub or shop and where about in new canal street no 16 was thank you for any help
josie

Hi Josie

Number 16 New Canal Street became The Skinners Arms and was in fact next door to the Dogs Home.

Josie,

The other thing was though I'm not sure of this, the pub eventually may have became part of the dogs home.

The answer may be both?

In the 1896 directory (Kelly's) There is for 16 New Canal St
Skinners Arms, P.H. Thos James,

In the 1888 directory (Kelly's) there for 16 New Canal St there are
Skinners Arms, William Wilkins,
Wells William, Fried Fish Dealer,

i have just found that one of my relatives was a beer retailer at no 16 new canal street in 1884
would like to know if it was a pub or shop and where about in new canal street no 16 was thank you for any help
josie

I don't think it did become part of the dogs home Phil, at least, not before 1973. The skinners arms is listed at no 16 till sometime between 1921 and 1932. No 16 is not then listed in Kellys , but The dogs home remains 17/18. In 1962 no 16 is Pooley weighing machines, which is probably later incorporated into Averys depot at no 14 (that is a guess, as averys is there, but no 16 has gone)., and in 1973 no 16 is still not listed, but /dogs home is still just 17/18. Sometimes, the numbering is a bit lax in Kellys, but the Dogs home is only ever listed as 17/18

thank you all for your help
i know that he ran a few pubs around digbeth area then end up running the prince of wales inn/pub in loxton street where he died in 1907
josie

Mike,

It was just looking at the dogs home on Google, one half looks like Municipal building but the other half has the look of an old pub, this was my only reason for suggesting it might be so and nothing else.

Back