• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Beechcroft House 15 Belle Walk Moseley

My twin and I where born in Hay Mills three months early in 1948. Mom didn't know she was having twins, we only weighed 3lb something each. We were taken to The Sorrento, kept in incubators, and washed with Olive Oil. We stayed there until our birth date in May.
My dad (Vivian Bird) would cycle from Hay Mills to the Sorrento with expressed milk each day. Because he was dabbling in writing he wrote an article about us being born, and sent it to Womens Hour, It was used. So he gave up his job as a teacher to become a writer for the Birmingham Weekly Post. We soon moved to Acocks Green. We both owe The Sorrento our lives. I spent a lot of time at Belle View Mother and Baby home when I was 19, (I have always been the naughty twin) from Sept 1967 to May 1968. There is something about that on here as well.
Hi Mooky, I've been trying for years to find information on Beechcroft mother and baby home in Belle Walk - is this the same place that you spent time in?

Thanks for replying - so do you have personal memories of Beechcoft Home?
I do, but at the moment I am recovering from two life threating accidents, a knee replacement and selling my house. I can cope with no more. When I move(It takes ages) I maybe will find time to answer you. At the moment though I just can't even after all these years having to hand over a son at nearly 6 months has a dreadful affect on me. I hope you understand, regards Molly.

Back