• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bedsteads in Deritend?

There has been a recent attempt to get the Birmingham Bedstead Factory in Sampson Road North, listed. This building was erected for the use of the Birmingham Bedstead Company in 1886, but only had a brief use in this trade. Whilst it has an attractive facade, English Heritage do no consider it worthy of listing despite it being one of the few surviving UK metallic bedstead works. Another is Troman's works in Bolton Street, which I believe still stands.

Ray Shill

The Sampson Road North Bedstead listing was part of a more general application regarding all the buildings on the Wharf. This included the former Cement Wharf structures opened to receive cement by boat, in the 1930's, from Stockton. CRT want to demolish this structure, denying perhaps its commitment to preserving canal heritage. The Bedstead factory is not presently under threat, so I have made an appeal regarding this particular structure to be reconsidered for listing.

Ray Shill

My grandparents worked at a Deritend bedstead makers according to the 1911 census they were noted as iron polisher and brass polisher, not sure if it was Hoskins.
They lived in Heathmill lane and their names were William and Anne Birkett

Well, the 1911 Census has the Birketts (William & Mary Ann) as polishers (and workers) at 2 Court 10 house Allcock Street, and as they were on the 1939 listing (122 Heath Mill Lane) as polishers, it was likely that they worked for Hoskins & Sewell or maybe Hoskins.

An aerial view of the Hoskin’s HQ and factories, Upper Trinity Street in 1973. The office block (centre of pic) is still there (now Borsch) as are some of the buildings to the right (now Crown Catering). Viv.

719FA3F7-5D2F-46A2-AE17-806D23240F87.jpeg

Last edited:
thanks viv...i think building on the right corner is the clements pub with coventry road running across

lyn

Hi all great picture of Bordesley Palace , my mom met my dad there in the 1930s she said she hated him at first sight because he had bright Ginger hair and of course the rest is history. When we were kids in the 1950s we always called ln there with our gang on our walk to the city centre as it was then derelict and dangerous and only the brave would venture to the front where the stage would have been. Regards Acklam19

Back