• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bedstead Works in small heath

les hancock

master brummie
on the 1911 census my ancestors are listed in Millward Street as beadstead workers. I want to find more info about this. Looking at the maps in the Birmingham library I can see the works appear to be in the area of the custard factory and I think it was the Empire bedstead works.

Can any one point me in the right direction for research as google shows up very little.

Thanks

Les

They worked in a factory that made bedsteads for a weekly pay...in the location that you have found. What more is there to know?

What makes you think the works were in that area, and that particular one?. the 1912 Kellys does not list a works under bedsteads called Empire Works, so cannot be sure which one you are refer to.

HI all,

There was a bedstead makers in Bordesley near the junction with Camp Hill. If my memory serves me right it was named Hoskins and Sewell. They made beds for hospitals.

Old Boy

OK, 1890 OS map. A couple of bedstead manufacturers around Camp Hill. One between Upper Trinity and Bowyer and The Gladstone works (back then) west of New Bond street. Both close to Millward Street.
Incidentally, there are a few houses in Millward that possibly date back to the period in question. The distance from Millward to the above factories is about half mile in real measurement.
I seem to remember seeing a bedstead company nearer to the custard factory but can't find it now. Anyway the above are closer.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10098&ox=4521&oy=2904&zm=1&czm=1&x=385&y=212

The Bowyer factory is still there seemingly. Strangely a tea room now but the Gladstone building is gone and road works would have removed part of it. A warehouse and sales building now but again still having something to do with bedding.
It's funny but Brum. was renowned for brass bedsteads and the connotation still exists long after these brass items have become historical. Brass is expensive now.

This is a list of some of the brass makers there are also brass bedstead makers listed.

Go to Birmingham Brass Makers www.oldcopper.org/Birmingham%20Brass%20Makers.htm it may give you an idea of how many bedstead manufactures there were. One of my ancestors was one at the Falcon Works Glover Street. There are names of many manufactures who made many things.

Good luck :peaceful:

Back