• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bedbugs

K

Kandor

I read in the Daily Mail today that bedbugs are on their way back.
Its funny I was only talking about them a few weeks ago saying that my Mom always seemed to slap loads of Calamine lotion on those little red lumps we always seemed to have back then..the article in the Mail describes them perfectly, it looks like they were never the 'Heatlumps' Mom claimed, but something she knew we had all along, Bedbug bites.
I have to say, I've been reading the article with a smile, part of it says (and I quote) 'Apart from the bites, Bedbug infestation can cause considerable stress,this may be manifested by loss of sleep, anxiety and discarded bedding'..let me just pull that apart if I may..
Our house was crawling with Blackbats, we had Mice, the occasional Rat, silverfish, Nits and at least 4 million Spiders...I actually went to Dudley Zoo to get AWAY from wildlife not see it.
And as for the loss of sleep and anxiety bit...try sleeping with an incontinent kid brother to help concentrate the mind.
I consistently ended up wetter than Jacques Costeau....
And as for the advice on helping to get rid of the infestation by discarding or burning bedding, what planet did they come from then?
I'd have ended up sleeping on the Lino at that rate.
Besides, the bedbugs knitted together made a nice Balaclava.....

My mother told me that they used dampened soap to wipe over the mattress to catch the bedbugs. She said you could see hordes of insects crawling up the walls like large shadows.
Gran was frightened in case an earwig would crawl into her ear!
rosie.

My mother told me that they used dampened soap to wipe over the mattress to catch the bedbugs. She said you could see hordes of insects crawling up the walls like large shadows.
Gran was frightened in case an earwig would crawl into her ear!
rosie.
My Wife vacuums the mattress every two weeks. Bedbugs is not something i`ve ever thought about, but now i`m wondering, as my army mattress never got vacuumed but can honestly say i don`t recall any bedbug bites. Where do they come from in the first place?

A VAMPIRE IN YOUR BED:cold_sweat::worried:

Most bedbug bites are painless at first, but later turn into itchy welts. Unlike flea bites that are mainly around the ankles, bedbug bites are on any area of skin exposed while sleeping. Also, the bites do not have a red spot in the center like flea bites do.
What kills bed bugs instantly Steam – Bed bugs and their eggs die at 122°F (50°C). The high temperature of steam 212°F (100°C) immediately kills bed bugs. Apply steam slowly to the folds and tufts of mattresses, along with sofa seams, bed frames, and corners or edges where bed bugs may be hiding

About 20 years ago I was living in a flat share (London not Birmingham) and one of my flatmates got bedbugs!
I think he got someone from the local council department to fumigate his room a couple of times or so.

He was told that someone must have brought them in so we assumed it must have been one of his lady friends ;) no one else in the house had the problem, I'm very glad to say!

We did however get cockroaches in the kitchen sometimes, they'd run out from under the cupboards.

Back