• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Beaufort Cinema Ward End / Washwood Heath

Coming from Blythe cottages that was the 161 bus stop near Cranmore Road where we lived Dad99 still going but not well he struggles on towards that telegram entering the Beaufort was a Spectacular night out. The Castle at Bradford road was another haunt. What happy days we had there.

Yes i know the 161 bus stop you mention i worked on The Midland Red for a short tine on the 160/161 routes.
I remember the Castle Cinema as well,just up the road from where i was born.
I worked at the Beaufort Cimema for quite a few years as well as a Projectionist.

it looks like the photos have all disappeared here they are again for those who enjoy looking at them.

Attachments

• wall detail beaufort 2-4..jpg
    wall detail beaufort 2-4..jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 75
  • stalls beaufort 2-4..jpg
    stalls beaufort 2-4..jpg
    559 KB · Views: 73
  • lion beaufort 2-3..jpg
    lion beaufort 2-3..jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 69
  • balcony entrance beaufort 2-2.jpg
    balcony entrance beaufort 2-2.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 73
  • balcony lounge beaufort 2-2..jpg
    balcony lounge beaufort 2-2..jpg
    903.2 KB · Views: 73
  • ex1beaufort 2-1.jpg
    ex1beaufort 2-1.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 73
  • pay desk beaufort 2-2.jpg
    pay desk beaufort 2-2.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 73
  • lounge windows beaufort 2-3..jpg
    lounge windows beaufort 2-3..jpg
    876.3 KB · Views: 63
  • foyer beaufort 2-1.jpg
    foyer beaufort 2-1.jpg
    901.3 KB · Views: 68
  • wall detail 2 beaufort 2-4.jpg
    wall detail 2 beaufort 2-4.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 70
Long story but i managed to contact Hazel Goring from the Beaufort Cinema spoke to her on the telephone first time in 50 years it was really so nice to hear her voice after so long,She and her husband Jim were The Beaufort,we talked about George the doorman and all the old staff among lots of things anyway anyone who remembers her she is still well.
I remember Jim and Hazel Goring,my Dad,Ken Donovan worked for them at the Beaufort cinema,remember George too,lovely cinema

Hi All,
A little bit of info on the BEAUFORT CINEMA
The Beaufort Cinema one the architectural gems now long gone it was a known as a "Jacobethan Mansion as the design was a mixture of both Jacobean and Tudor design, the balcony lounge stained glass windows depicted all the Kings & Queens of England and I believe when demolition took place they were taken out and bought by an American, the marvelous solid oak staircase with its lions I think went to a house in wales, as it was all peg and mortise jointed so it took apart easily. The Beaufort when it was built was originally outside the Birmingham boundry, it came under Meriden council and as a consequence it was granted a Sunday licence when all of the cinemas in Birmingham only opened Monday to Saturday. The organ was broadcast by the BBC and because it was such a success it closed very shortly after opening to be extended, so as to increase the capacity, you can see this if you look at the exit halfway down the stalls it seems superfluous after the alterations. Originally it had 2 generators, one called Harry and The other called Len, after the names of Harry & Len Morris who were the main directors of the bulding firm Morris & Jacombes the company that owned the Beaufort. The generators were in a separate building some yards to the rear so that the cinema could generate its own electricity supply before it was connected to the Birmingham main supply when the bounderies were changed and it came under Birmingham council. The projection room was under balcony at the rear of the stalls, and all the oak doors had the linen fold panelling design with the tudor rose at the top corners of the architrave of the opening, the tudor rose was also carried through to the terrazo flooring of the entrance steps and the foyer floor, as you can see from the pics the pay desk was all ornamental to match and it it was a free standing one in the middle of the foyer with the kiosk tucked away under the staircase overhang, as when it opened cinemas didn't have kiosks, you got your goodies from the shop next door before you went in. I remember my Father telling me about when he was young and he went to the Beaufort on his motor bike which he had modified by taking the baffles out of the silencer to make it sound more sporty, when he came out he started up and a policeman leapt out of the shadows and said " That isn't how that was turned out of the factory" and promptly nicked him for having an inefficient silencer, that made it a dear night out.I did a lot of my courting there as it was between where I lived in Sheldon and where the girlfriend lived in Pype Hayes, the Father of June my girlfriend was strict on her being in by 10-30pm, so one night when we came out of the cinema at about 10-20pm it was a case of jump on my Lambretta and a quick dash to get her home on time, this one night there had been some rain during the evening and as I raced down Hodge Hill Road towards the island at the Hunters Moon I went through a deep puddle which drowned the engine, so out came the spanners to get the float chamber off the carburettor and empty the water out, tempus fugit as they say and June was dancing from one foot to another saying my Dad will kill me if I'm late, and sure enough when we rolled up at
10-40pm there he was standing on the step with a face as long as a gas mans mac, needless to say he was not impressed and didn't want to hear any excuses, but we all got over it in the fullness of time.
Regards Chris B
I used to go to beaufort as a teenager. and later met my husband (who was in a biker group)
at Gardeners resteraunt next door.

Remember the first time I went to the Beaufort.The school took us to see Scott of the Antarctic in the 50s

Here are a few details from a Beaufort Cinema Programme dated March 1968

Proprietors;Beaufort Cinema( B'ham) LTD TEL; ste 2307. Manager and Licensee; W Goring.
Continuous Monday,Wednesday,Saturday from 2p.m.
Tuesday,Thursday Friday from 5 p.m.
Sunday from 3.30 p.m.

Prices of Admission; Balcony 5/6d. Children 2/6d. Stalls 4/-. Children 2/-
Old Aged Pensioners 9d.

Thursday 29th Feb for 3 days Paul Newmnan in COOL HAND LUKE ( A)
Sunday 3rd.March for 7 days Michael Caine in BILLION DOLLAR BRAIN (A)
Sunday 10th March for 7 days Lee Marvin and Angie Dickinson in POINT BLANK(X)
Sunday 17th March for 7days Joan Crawford and Ty Hardin in BESERK (X)
Sunday 31st March for 4days Chris Martell in ADAM AND EVE (A) Also Jon Pertwee in HOW TO UNDRESS IN PUBLIC WITHOUT UNDUE EMBARRASSMENT.

A few advertising features including;
THE SEA QUEEN 21 Timberley Lane Faggots and Peas Tuesday night only. Beef burgers 1/- Spam fritters 1/- Hot peas 8d.
You could also get a cwt. of organic garden manure from 12/- from F.J.Bradley & son 174 Albert rd Stetchford.

Beaufort

Attachments

• FA3FF7FF-16E8-4362-AA6F-FAB809812DD5.jpeg
    FA3FF7FF-16E8-4362-AA6F-FAB809812DD5.jpeg
    878.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 1BA6C9CD-693C-4D17-A7BE-7A333F75100D.jpeg
    1BA6C9CD-693C-4D17-A7BE-7A333F75100D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
Hi All,
A little bit of info on the BEAUFORT CINEMA
The Beaufort Cinema one the architectural gems now long gone it was a known as a "Jacobethan Mansion as the design was a mixture of both Jacobean and Tudor design, the balcony lounge stained glass windows depicted all the Kings & Queens of England and I believe when demolition took place they were taken out and bought by an American, the marvelous solid oak staircase with its lions I think went to a house in wales, as it was all peg and mortise jointed so it took apart easily. The Beaufort when it was built was originally outside the Birmingham boundry, it came under Meriden council and as a consequence it was granted a Sunday licence when all of the cinemas in Birmingham only opened Monday to Saturday. The organ was broadcast by the BBC and because it was such a success it closed very shortly after opening to be extended, so as to increase the capacity, you can see this if you look at the exit halfway down the stalls it seems superfluous after the alterations. Originally it had 2 generators, one called Harry and The other called Len, after the names of Harry & Len Morris who were the main directors of the bulding firm Morris & Jacombes the company that owned the Beaufort. The generators were in a separate building some yards to the rear so that the cinema could generate its own electricity supply before it was connected to the Birmingham main supply when the bounderies were changed and it came under Birmingham council. The projection room was under balcony at the rear of the stalls, and all the oak doors had the linen fold panelling design with the tudor rose at the top corners of the architrave of the opening, the tudor rose was also carried through to the terrazo flooring of the entrance steps and the foyer floor, as you can see from the pics the pay desk was all ornamental to match and it it was a free standing one in the middle of the foyer with the kiosk tucked away under the staircase overhang, as when it opened cinemas didn't have kiosks, you got your goodies from the shop next door before you went in. I remember my Father telling me about when he was young and he went to the Beaufort on his motor bike which he had modified by taking the baffles out of the silencer to make it sound more sporty, when he came out he started up and a policeman leapt out of the shadows and said " That isn't how that was turned out of the factory" and promptly nicked him for having an inefficient silencer, that made it a dear night out.I did a lot of my courting there as it was between where I lived in Sheldon and where the girlfriend lived in Pype Hayes, the Father of June my girlfriend was strict on her being in by 10-30pm, so one night when we came out of the cinema at about 10-20pm it was a case of jump on my Lambretta and a quick dash to get her home on time, this one night there had been some rain during the evening and as I raced down Hodge Hill Road towards the island at the Hunters Moon I went through a deep puddle which drowned the engine, so out came the spanners to get the float chamber off the carburettor and empty the water out, tempus fugit as they say and June was dancing from one foot to another saying my Dad will kill me if I'm late, and sure enough when we rolled up at
10-40pm there he was standing on the step with a face as long as a gas mans mac, needless to say he was not impressed and didn't want to hear any excuses, but we all got over it in the fullness of time.
Regards Chris B
these pictures are a JOY.
I was born and raised on Stechford Lane (my dad is still there) and i can *just* recall going to the Beaufort with my grandfather - im pretty sure it was The Jungle Book - before it closed and became Dodge City DIY - and replaced with Alum Rock "Flea Pit" Cinema

Back