• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Beaufort Cinema Ward End / Washwood Heath

Chris your photo's are wonderful I had no idea the Baufort was so ornate. A few years ago I used to do a ladies hair who told me her husband was the manager in the 60's. She told me that she went often to the cinema. I wish now I had recorded her memories.

Rupert I think you will find the van in the first photo is a Reliant Robin. I remember the factory well in Tamworth there are still a few about here now. Made famous more recently in Only Fools And Horses as Del Boys transport. The Bug is a very different looking vehicle.

Rupert I think you will find the van in the first photo is a Reliant Robin. I remember the factory well in Tamworth there are still a few about here now. Made famous more recently in Only Fools And Horses as Del Boys transport.
Almost correct Wendy the Robin had more rounded bodywork than the Regal which is shown. I was once scared stiff by one of Reliant's development engineers in one that had a prototype engine in of their own design and bored out to (if memory is correct) 700 CC from 600. Very scary drive back to Gt King Street.

Footnote - The original Reliant had an Austin 7 Side valve engine later replaced by a Reliant own engine of 600CC with overhead valves. Then onto a 700 CC.

BTW I think Rupert was thinking pre Bug. Bond produced a motorcycle engined two seater with similar styling or rather lack of, to the Regal (albeit lower).

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting your article on the beaufort david I remember as a young lad going to the beaufort mant times with my mom, If the picture was an "A"my mother would ofton take in any of the lads(never seemed to be any girls) that were standing by the door , they would then go and sit on there own once inside

Thought I'd re-post these 3 pics. I imagine they were on the original thread.

beaufort_cinema_1931.jpg

Beaufort_Cinema.JPG

Beaufort_Cinema_Interior_1975ish.jpg

I think this last one is supposed to be around 1975.
Incidentally, look at the advert on the left of the 1st pic. "Buffalow Puppy Cakes"! I imagine it wasn't some delicacy for humans to enjoy but some sort of food for dogs?

Last edited:
The shop was Dawsons,Behind the Beaufort was a sandpit and those brick built buildings was where they use to generate their own electricity for the Beaufort,untill it was connected to the main power,these are the generators.
11777522823_8d4084f4ba_z.jpg

Hi Michael,

Not quite sure which shop you are referring to. If it is Pic 1 in DavidFowler's post above, with the dog food ad,
I seem to remember it was called Fred Perkins's, and was a general feed merchants.
Dawson's Corner was diagonally opposite to it.

Kind regards

Dave

Long story but i managed to contact Hazel Goring from the Beaufort Cinema spoke to her on the telephone first time in 50 years it was really so nice to hear her voice after so long,She and her husband Jim were The Beaufort,we talked about George the doorman and all the old staff among lots of things anyway anyone who remembers her she is still well.

Back