• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Beaufort Cinema Ward End / Washwood Heath

Hi,
the pics of the Beaufort were around 1975 as I think it closed in around 1978.
Regards Chris B

Hi All,
Saw my first x rated film there in the Sixties, thought I was so cool getting in under age, although very apprehensive wondering what was in store for me and my pals. I needn't have worried the film was King Kong versus Godzilla, it was hilarious.
Thaks for the photo's, I had forgotten what a nice building it was.

Great Pictures,i was second projectionist from 1961 to approx 1971,they bring back happy memories.

I remember George the doorman,had curley ginger hair walked with a bad limp,he lived by the ward end pub,i do remember him stopping people under 16 to see X rated films.
When i started in 1961 i was 16 and he said to me you have been 16 for a long time as i had been going to see horror films for a good 2 years before i started there.
Once you got to know George he was a very nice person,he use to save all the posters for me after the showing as i collected them,i ended up with hundreds of them also the stills,i ended up burning them,if only i knew what they would be worth today.

I still miss the Beaufort,if anyone has photos of The Projection Room i would love to see them.

Really nice to see these colour pictures of The Beaufort,happy days.

Chris, what great photos of the Beaufort, I only went two or three times, one occasion was to see Bonnie & Clyde and during a particularly interesting part Ray's car number was etched on the screen, he must have been blocking someone in, and he had to go out and move it.

I agree it was appalling the way it was demolished to make way for a B & Q store, then it was converted into a Bingo Hall. A number of good quality houses were also demolished to make way for a car park for B & Q.

As Joanie Mitchell sang "you don't know what you've got til its gone". That should be the theme song for the City Council.

If I remember rightly there used to be a barbers right by the Beaufort, and when the time came to demolish the Beaufort, the barber refused to move because he was'nt offered enough money. He held up the project for quite a while and in the end he must have got what he wanted. I believe he was offered more money and a new barbers shop on the site.I have'nt been round that way in a while but I think that barbers shop is still there, although probably now owned by a different person. Is'nt the site now an Aldi and a bingo hall?

Terry

If I remember rightly there used to be a barbers right by the Beaufort, and when the time came to demolish the Beaufort, the barber refused to move because he was'nt offered enough money. He held up the project for quite a while and in the end he must have got what he wanted. I believe he was offered more money and a new barbers shop on the site.

Terry

Hi Terry,

You're absolutely right about the barber, provision was made for him in
the new building at the back facing the car park. The DIY store built there was called Dodge City.

Kind regards

Dave

Lovely pictures, Chris and what a nice story to end your introduction with. My local ‘flea pit’ was the Erdington Palace but occasionally went to the Beaufort. Just a short trip on the 28 bus, if I remember right (from Pype Hayes).

It was the best picture house I ever had the pleasure to visit, and probably ever will. The architecture and decor were fantastic. It had an atmosphere all its own and was, as they say, more than the sum of its parts. I would go so far as to say if B’ham council tried to recreate it, it couldn’t be done.

Shame on those responsible for its demise. It would likely be a listed building today.

Hi Terry,

You're absolutely right about the barber, provision was made for him in
the new building at the back facing the car park. The DIY store built there was called Dodge City.

Kind regards

Dave

Cheers Dave, at least my memory is not playing tricks yet.:)

Terry (also Smiths Wood)

Many thanks for that. What a wonderful building it was - I remember as a boy looking down over the gallery.

The Beaufort Cinema after a major facelift and redecoration on re-opening night 15th Sept 1937

Yes, the thread starter described the cinema well and the picture is as I remember it in the forties and fifties. Unusual in it's design. I used it on occasion but The Rock was closer. The roundabout in front of it is more memorable to me for being the only place that I ever fell off a motorbike. Only injured pride and embarassment...oh and a bent footrest.

Here are a few details from a Beaufort Cinema Programme dated March 1968

Proprietors;Beaufort Cinema( B'ham) LTD TEL; ste 2307. Manager and Licensee; W Goring.
Continuous Monday,Wednesday,Saturday from 2p.m.
Tuesday,Thursday Friday from 5 p.m.
Sunday from 3.30 p.m.

Prices of Admission; Balcony 5/6d. Children 2/6d. Stalls 4/-. Children 2/-
Old Aged Pensioners 9d.

Thursday 29th Feb for 3 days Paul Newmnan in COOL HAND LUKE ( A)
Sunday 3rd.March for 7 days Michael Caine in BILLION DOLLAR BRAIN (A)
Sunday 10th March for 7 days Lee Marvin and Angie Dickinson in POINT BLANK(X)
Sunday 17th March for 7days Joan Crawford and Ty Hardin in BESERK (X)
Sunday 31st March for 4days Chris Martell in ADAM AND EVE (A) Also Jon Pertwee in HOW TO UNDRESS IN PUBLIC WITHOUT UNDUE EMBARRASSMENT.

A few advertising features including;
THE SEA QUEEN 21 Timberley Lane Faggots and Peas Tuesday night only. Beef burgers 1/- Spam fritters 1/- Hot peas 8d.
You could also get a cwt. of organic garden manure from 12/- from F.J.Bradley & son 174 Albert rd Stetchford.

Photographs of the Beaufort. Brings back old memories. What was the name of the toy shop on the other corner? I could 'drool' at their window for hours.

I can remember, as a kid, playing on the rough ground behind the Beaufort where there were some brick built underground chambers. I was always led to believe that they were the remains of gun emplacements built to protect the Drews Lane site.

And in the same area, does anyone remember the brick bridge in Cole Hall Lane that was washed away after a storm. Perhaps 1970 ish? To then be replaced by the, still present, Bailey Bridge. And further downstream, Packington Avenue, for many years had just a Bailey Bridge with timbers for the vehicles to cross. Not that there were that many (vehicles) in those days.

Back