• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Beamish Road, Small Heath

Is there a thread on Great Barr Street?
I have a shot of what used to be called 'Cranky Franks' on Great Barr Street.(pub directly opposite Cannings)
I have no idea where to post it.
Regards
redken

Hi Redken,

Thanks for the photos. Beamish Road looks in a sad state. Our house was just to the right of the white car. There didn't use to be a blade of grass on the island, cos of the footie! Did you know that ten times round that island was exactly one mile. In the 53 Coronation, the island was covred in trestle tables full of goodies. And a Girl won a prize from the Plume for running one hundred times round the island (10 Miles) See the door step in the Plume photo? Many time I sat there with a Vimto and a packet of Smith's Crisps. Oh the joy of two salt-bags. Easy pleased eh?

Yes Beamish.
I do recall all you wrote of the island on Beamish Rd.
Most locals in the area knew this.
Any time myself or friends were around we often chanced our stamina running around it.
Great memories from our younger days.
Regards
redken

Reading this tread and looking at the pictures make me feel quite sad really that it's all gone.

I used to work round there for the Council, we used to decorate one room for pensioners in the winter, and do the day to day maintenancein the better weather.

There were always lots of friendly welcoming faces, people were pleased to be getting a job done. We used to have a great laugh in the Plume of Feathers on the dinner hour, have a game of dominos with the landlady.

Picture number 3.
So sorry about the picture quality.
Negatives are old Kodak coloumiles st and beamish rd.jpgr...suffering from time syndrome.
This is Beamish Rd and Miles St.Maisonette on the left are on Miles street while the one on the right is on Beamish Rd, between them both you can clearly see the 3 story maisonettes on Sandy Lane. Late 1960's-1970's.

Picture number 4.
1960's-1970's.
Again folks I'm so sorry about the picture quality.
As there are very few pics of this area, me thinks its ok to post themmiles street.jpg This is the last maisonette on this side of the road as you turn left into Beamish Road.

Picture number 4.kids back of plume.JPG Dated 1960's-1970's.
This is the back of the Plume of Feathers.
3 young kids out with Family.

Dated 1970's.miles street with police car.jpg Opposite Beamish Road. The Gaylord club is still standing next to the Plume of Feathers.
Miles Street.
Originally posted in B&W.

smashing pics redken....dont worry about the yellow colour...a pic is a pic....love the old police car in the last pic...

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Beamish and Bluegwen some of my mates lived in maissonettsthere if you lived there do the names Alan Sleet , John Bowley , Chris Osborne or the Laner brothers may have been Paul and Terry ring any bells Bernie
I was raised in beamish road and have many memories of John Bowle y and Chris Osborne .. my brother is Roy Walsh.

My memory is shocking Walshann I'm pretty sure I must have known your brother but can't place him , sadly Alan died a couple of years ago and I lost touch with them all donkeys years ago . I used to work with Alan and John but I knew a few people from around there from the Dolphin , there was Albert who was a Baggies fan along with Ozzy and Charlie, I think they both lived in Miles Street and a big guy who worked at Mcgeochs Barry apart from Ozzy's sisters Anne and Mary and Alans brothers Barry and George ? that's about all I can remember

Here are 2 pictures one of which is Beamish Road . Pictures were taken from outside the Plume of Feathers pub. The 2nd shows residents on Miles Street heading into Beamish Road. Sorry that the picture quality isn't to good here, they are old Kodak neg pics taken between 1970 - 1980high res scan.jpgPIC_0576.JPG

I was raised in beamish road and have many memories of John Bowle y and Chris Osborne .. my brother is Roy Walsh.
Is This Ann Walsh who used to live above Ethel Brooks, Alfred And Margaret Johnson (Brother and Sister) with Her Son Anthony ? sorry only just found this site as i was looking for Old pics of Beamish Road where i grew up as a Child in The 60's. I remember an Ann Walsh who was a few years Older than me , who lived above us ( I'm Anthony Aka Tony ) with her Mom Joyce? i could be wrong on name though, our house was slap back in the middle we lived on ground floor either 16 or 18 Beamish Road, My memory is a little vague. went to school at Holy Trinity, till it was closed, Then Dixon road. left in 1973 . i also rem Mrs green and her son Andrew , The Rileys and Flynns. Mr Bowley and a few others ..

Here are 2 pictures one of which is Beamish Road . Pictures were taken from outside the Plume of Feathers pub. The 2nd shows residents on Miles Street heading into Beamish Road. Sorry that the picture quality isn't to good here, they are old Kodak neg pics taken between 1970 - 1980View attachment 103743View attachment 103744
I lived in the house in pic one, no 6 I think, my name is Thomas Prior and to the left of the house behind the garages lived mrs Parr.

Back