• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Beamish Road, Small Heath

Will this do? I assume that you know where it was located. If not on this map it is in the top left quadrant of the middle square.

Phil

SmallHeath-1.jpg

Thanks Phil, I'm trying to remember the name of the pub on Miles Street now. We'd know if my Grandad was in there because we'd hear him singing old Welsh songs :D

Its nice to see a Blues supporter on this forum most on here are Villains:D:D:DMossy come on you blue boys:p

I think the name of the pub on Miles St was The Plume of Feathers, sorry no photo.

Phil

My first post but count me in as a bluenose too :biggrin:

Hi,

Lived in Beamsih Road from the age of 3 months to the day I got married. Wonderful memories. The island - oblong - was exactly 1/10th of a mile. At the Coronation, they gave a prize to the kids who could run 100 times round it. Guess what....a girl won it. they gave her the prize at the Plume of Feathers. Other nearby pubs were the Dolphin on the corner of Miles Street and Bordesley Park Road and The Old Lodge on the corner of the Cov and Bordesley Park Road. Went to Dixon Road School then Oakley Road.

Up the Blues. Keep Right On!

Hi,

I'm sure I can remember Dan Tremelling serving me as a kid in the outdoor of the Old Lodge rather than the Dolphin, although I could be wrong. Does anyone recall the chip shop next door to the Old Lodge. Terrible chips, I'm sure they used to just frighten them with the fat. Chips 3d and 6d...Fish 9d and 1/3d.

:D Correction: "Other nearby pubs were the Dolphin on the corner of Miles Street and Bordesley Park Road." Should read: Horse and Jockey rather than Dolphin.

Beamish, I have an A-z. 1952 and Beamish Rd Small Heath aint in it.Do you want me to post the page?

Beamish, I have an A-z. 1952 and Beamish Rd Small Heath aint in it.Do you want me to post the page?

Beamish Road was a small square of maisonettes. It isn't labelled on some maps that I've seen, but it did exist :)

Hello, :)

BlueGwen is quite correct. The Beamish Road Maisonettes were built I believe in 1948. We moved in as one the earliest tenants. The rent, I seem to remember my Mom telling me was 17/0d in June 1948. My A-Z clearly shows Beamish Road. See attached on previous post.

Hi Beamish and Bluegwen some of my mates lived in maissonettsthere if you lived there do the names Alan Sleet , John Bowley , Chris Osborne or the Laner brothers may have been Paul and Terry ring any bells Bernie

There were two pubs on Miles Street, halfway down was The Plume of Feathers and on the corner of Bordesley Park The Horse and Jockey.
Sorry havn't got photo of the Plume of Feathers.

hj1.jpgView attachment 60553

Last edited:
Picture number 1.
Beamish Road off Miles Street Small Heath.
Dated 1970's.
Sorry about picture quality folks, this photograph was so dark with little detail to play with.
May have had a fighting chance if I had found the negitive.img125.jpg

Picture number 2.
It amazes me how one picture can be so awful in quality against a good picture taken around the same period.
My brothers..brother in law with a pint outside the 'Plume of Feathers' opposite Beamish Road.
Sorry to plonk it here, I couldn't find a thread directly at Miles Street.
Dated early 1970's.img127.jpg

Back