• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Be careful of any phone calls from "computer support"

Status
Not open for further replies.

guilbert53

master brummie
This is a warning if any of you get a call from someone saying they are from "computer support" or "technical support" regarding your computer.

I know these types of calls have been mentioned on here before, but it never hurts to remind people.

Just this morning, Saturday 7th December at 9:30am, I was "cold called" by someone saying they were "Microsoft Technical Support" phoning up about my "Windows computer". THESE CALLS ARE A SCAM.

The words used by these callers can vary, but basically they will say they have been monitoring your computer and it has severe errors (or a virus) that needs fixing. THIS IS A LIE.

They will often offer to fix these problem for a fee, and ask you to give them your credit card details. NEVER GIVE A COLD CALLER YOUR CREDIT CARD DETAILS.

They may also ask to install some software on your computer so they can see what is going on. Genuine support companies like Dell do sometimes install software on your PC to see what is going on.

However the software these people install may be used to steal information on your PC, or to install a "keylogger" which will capture all your keyboard strokes so they can steal your userids and passwords, or online banking information.

NEVER LET ANYONE (except for official support groups) INSTALL SOFTWARE ON YOUR PC.

NEVER GO TO ANY WEB SITES THEY ASK YOU TO VISIT.

If you get this type of call then just hang up.

DONT talk to them, DONT give them any personal information, DONT give them information about the computer you are using, DONT give them details of your userids and passwords, DONT give them your credit card details.

THESE PEOPLE ARE CRIMINALS. TREAT THEM AS SUCH.

dwilly

master brummie
They called me up and started talking about problems with my Windows, I told them i'd just had them double glazed and that threw them they didn't know what I was going on about they hung up on me in the end!

Told this to my Dad who's in his eighties and he did the same when they phoned.

But might be best just to hang up.

B

BernardR

A friend of Linda's Mom fell for this but fortunately got out before she handed over control or gave sensitive information.

Totally agree to not engaging in conversation as I know someone who did and they got really abusive once they realised they had been caught out and kept talking for a while.

Radiorails

master brummie
I have a simple remedy for nuisance callers. I ask them to speak in another European language(s) than English. That usually causes a pause as even if they speak the language I have suggested (rare in fact) they do not have a technical vocabulary just a tourists one.

horsencart

master brummie
I have a much better way to stop cold calls there is on the market a device for just under £40.00, and that stop any nuisance calls if anyone does call you can block them by pressing a button on the device, ( it will only work if you have caller number on your phone )

I have a simple remedy for nuisance callers. I ask them to speak in another European language(s) than English. That usually causes a pause as even if they speak the language I have suggested (rare in fact) they do not have a technical vocabulary just a tourists one.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
But presumably it won't work if the call comes from abroad, or they have withheld their number as many do?

Shortie

master brummie
Just tell them you don't have a computer, and they go off the line quite quickly. A cousin of mine does this (she does not have a computer anyway) and I have tried it since. Works a treat.

oldMohawk

master brummie
I have caller display and on my phone (nothing special) I can set different ring tones for any numbers calling me.

Calls from family and close friends.
I set a particular musical ring tone - if I hear it I can safely answer.

Calls from businesses, officials etc which I have previously dealt with.
I set a different musical ring tone - if I hear it I will usually answer.

All other calls with the standard ring tone.
I let them go to the answer phone - scammers particularly International usually stop the call as soon as they hear the answer phone.
Other genuine callers might leave a message which I can decide to respond to or not.

I used to play up the scammers but eventually got bored !

horsencart

master brummie
If they with hold their number then your phone will not ring, if the other person will not show their number I do not wish to talk to them

But presumably it won't work if the call comes from abroad, or they have withheld their number as many do?

B

BernardR

Mike if it is the device I found then yes it will block overseas calls. I know some cannot use the option of blocking overseas call but by using caller display we leave overseas calls to go to answer phone in the knowledge that family or friends will leave a message.

Problem can come with Hospitals and such that often use withheld numbers. However these again will usually leave a message.

B

BernardR

Great advice from Guilbert53 and others= so stay safe out there folk as the baddies are out to get you.

Now locking this thread. Please contact one of the Admin Team should you feel that there is additional information that could be added.

Status
Not open for further replies.