• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bcfc Tie 1949 - 50

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
Not very PC today but has anyone got any information about this tie. What was the occasion etc etc.Thanks

f38t221823p13465n2_dtZkSjnY.jpg

I THINK IT WAS GIVEN AWAY OR SOLD BY THE BIRMINGHAM ARGUS IN THAT YEAR FOR A CUP FINAL
AS THEY WAS PLAYING AGAINST THE VILLA OR ALBION FOR BIRMINGHAM FANS IN THAT PERIOD
AND I AM TRYING TO THINK WHOM THE OWNERS WAS AT TAT GIVEN TIME HE WAS BEHIND THE S AND U ,BUSSINESS THAT OPERATED IN THE BULL RING VERY WEALTHY FAMILY Astonian,,,,

froth i have an inkling about this but cant quite remember the info...will have to ask someone tomorrow who may know..will get back to you if i find out anything definate...

I THINK IT WAS GIVEN AWAY OR SOLD BY THE BIRMINGHAM ARGUS IN THAT YEAR FOR A CUP FINAL
AS THEY WAS PLAYING AGAINST THE VILLA OR ALBION FOR BIRMINGHAM FANS IN THAT PERIOD
AND I AM TRYING TO THINK WHOM THE OWNERS WAS AT TAT GIVEN TIME HE WAS BEHIND THE S AND U ,BUSSINESS THAT OPERATED IN THE BULL RING VERY WEALTHY FAMILY Astonian,,,,

Clifford Coomb I believe.

Alan you were given info on the owners of S & U who were indeed the Coombs family on a thread you started in Jan 2014

Frothy, have looked at every bit of Blues history that I can find ,I can't see that the 1949-1950 season was a very auspicious time for the team they went out in the 3rd of the FA cup to Swansea.

Clifford Coombs did not become chairman until 1965.

Hopefully someone will be able to tell you more about the history of the tie, and also why in goodness name it was coloured Claret

Alberta.

Last edited:
Hi Froth,

It looks as though we have been barking up the wrong tree. Blues were relegated from Div 1 to Div 2 in season 1949/50. During that time Blues had a popular mascot who paraded around the ground dressed similarly to the figure on the tie who is shaking hands with the Blues player probably saying goodbye. The Sports Argus thing is misleading as it is shown as part of the advertising on the stand. I do not think the tie had anything to do with the Argus.

I think that the tie was designed and distributed by Villa supporters taking the micky out of Blues and their supporters. Hence answering Albertas query about the tie being claret. This is my theory and I think it will do until someone comes up with a better one.

Old Boy

This is the Villa mascot around the same time. Not very PC today.Villa Mascot.jpg

Back