• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

BBC Heritage

Charlie

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
There's a new series starting on BBC1 @ (I think) 7.00pm on Sunday 14th August, looking at Britain's Heritage. They come to Birmingham in one section, looking at a silversmith's factory - and I'm assuming this will be J.Evans in Albion Street.
Worth a look anyway.

Nothing to do with the original post but this seems as good as anywhere to make another BBC post.

During the 1980's I often watched the BBC programme 'Pebble MIll at One' during my lunctime. It was always intersting and they seemed to achieve an awful lot in what was, basically, the foyer. You could see the road traffic passing by and I always wished, though they were long since gone, to see the trams passing by on the Cotteridge 36 route.

We were invited to go and watch the recording of Pebble Mill at One as a thank you from the staff member we had looked after - it was fascinating and we met Chris Baines and Marjorie Lofthouse the presenters at that time.
We had afternoon tea with them and they made us really welcome.
Sue

Eighty years ago, on November 2nd 1936, the BBC launched its first TV show from Alexandra Palace (Ally Pally).

A wonderful programme on BBC4 last evening, recreated that historical event.

The first singer on TV was Adele Dixon, who, I seem to remember was a West End theatre singing star. I do remember hearing her sing on the 'wireless', sometime in the late 30's, early 40's.
A name also mentioned was Henry Hall, and as a musician I remember him well, and his signature tune, "Here's Till The next Time". I also remember Leslie Mitchell, the first BBC announcer.
On Nov 2nd 1936, in spite of having erected a 200 foot mast on the top of Alexandra Palace, the transmission only covered a 40 mile radius, and very few TV's were owned, so probably no more than a few wealthy viewers saw the programme.

Lord Reith, the then BBC Director General, frowned upon this new media, and suggested that it would never replace his beloved BBC radio.

I saw my first, very small, black & white TV around 1950, and not a very good picture, I seem to recall.
By 1953 TV was becoming more popular, with many homes having a TV set installed for the Coronation of Elizabeth II. As I was stationed in West Germany, I did not see the Coronation, but I do remember seeing the Oxford boat sink in the Boat Race!

In this modern world, TV seems to have taken over our life, and the whole world seems to revolve around what is shown on TV, and much of it is almost instamatic.

The world, and its problems, have always been there, but now television brings the world, and those problems into our home.

TV in my opinion, can be wonderful, sometimes entertaining, sometimes in very bad taste, and like it or hate it, we are stuck with it.

On November 2nd 1936, I am sure that no-one envisaged the Pandora's Box that they were opening.

Eddie.

P.S. Off to watch Michael Buble, on TV!!

Last edited:
Back