• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Baynes fishing tackle shop Summer Lane off new john street

trying to find a photo of my grand parents old fishing tackle shop summer lane just of new john street.
there is a petrol garage now roughly where the shop was.
my grand father Albert and his wife ethol. ran the shop
and 3 sons lived there Dennis George and Colin

Albert baynes was also a police man in summer lane police station..
would be great if there is any photos of albert in the police force
i no he was in the police force for a very long time all through the war also
i think he retired around 1960s.
i have added a photo of what the street looks like now
the shop was where the petrol staton is

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-12-05-07-05-04-564.jpeg
    Screenshot_2020-12-05-07-05-04-564.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_2020-12-05-07-05-32-868.jpeg
    Screenshot_2020-12-05-07-05-32-868.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
have you looked at the summer lane thread..there are lots of old photos on there also the shop may not have been exactly on the spot of the petrol station as new john st west was made wider so the shop may have been in the middle of where the duel carriageway is...

lyn

according to the 1940 kellys directory for albert baynes at 101 summer lane at that time he is running a wireless shop...one of our members has been looking for years for a photo of the bakery next door but no luck so far

lyn

hi yes he also sold radios
charged the acumulators
and sold electrical items.
sold bicycle parts and lots of other things
i think when he set the shop up it was more of an electrical shop. so wireless shop probably makes sence
i have a photo from inside the shop. i will sort it out an upload it
my nan Ethel baynes. maiden name Ethel west is in the shop photo behind the counter

here is a photo from inside the shop 101 summer lane.
and my nan Ethel baynes. maden name west she had lots of sisters from summer lane area .
all the girls names started with the letter E.
my nan used to go to the pub every evening 7 days a week. up to the age Of around 80 years.
she was totally lovely one of the nicest people you could ever meet. wish my children could have met her
i think the pub may have been called the griffen. but not sure about that

Attachments

• IMG_20201211_121534.jpg
    IMG_20201211_121534.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
hi baynes shop summer lane...hope you dont mind but i took the liberty of posting your lovely photo on our picture restoration thread..although it is badly damaged this is an attempt by our member old mowhawk to tidy it up a bit for you..we may get other attempts in which case i will post them here for you..

lyn

summer lane shop redo.jpg

Back