• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bayliss

K

karencornford

Can anyone shed some light on this family for me please?
Oliver Bayliss b. 1816 Solihull married Mary b. 1831 and they had eight children:
Mary A.BAYLISS b1855
Louisa BAYLISS b.02.10.1860 B'ham
Joseph BAYLISS b.1862 Bishop Ryder
Lavinia BAYLISS b.1864Bishop Ryder
Albert E.BAYLISS b.1866 Bishop Ryder
Emma C.BAYLISS b.1870 Bishop Ryder
Arthur BAYLISS b.1872 B'ham
Edith BAYLISS b.1875 B'ham
I have located the 1851 census record for Oliver (gun barrel maker), living in Schofield St, Aston
1861 for Oliver(gun barrel maker), Maryann, Maryann & Louisa living in 23 Moland St
1871 for Oliver(gun maker), Maryann, Maryann, Louisa, Joseph, Lavinia, Albert Ed, Emma C living in 23 Moland St
Arthur & Edith are added in the 1881 census at 18 Legge St, but Oliver does not appear on this census record – it would appear the boys followed in the gun making business while the girls followed their mother as tailorless’s.

I assume Albert E was not the only child to marry and have children.
Oliver is my g g grandfather and Albert E is my g grandfather. This is the sum total of my knowledge of this part of the family and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Oliver Bayliss married Mary ann Winwood
7th december 1851 St. Martins birmingham

Oliver Bayliss baptised 20th March 1815 ST Martins
parents Benjamin and Sarah.

Lavinia Bayliss death registered Sept 1882 age 19 Birmingham
ref. 6d 105.

Hi Karen. I looked at the census returns for 1891 and 1901. On the 1891 Joseph was lodging at 81 Legge Street Gun Barrell Filer. Unmarried. Unabe to find him on the 1901 Census.

Arthur was still living with Mary A his mother in 1891 at 51 Clifton Road, he was a Bicycle Fork Maker. By 1901 Arthur had married, here he is with his family

Name:Arthur Bayliss Age:28
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1873
Relation:Head
Spouse's Name:Amy
Where born: Birmingham, Warwickshire, Civil Parish:Aston Ecclesiastical parish:Christchurch
Street address:1 Excelsior Place
Marshall street South
Registration district:Aston
Sub registration district Deritend
NameAge
Amy Bayliss30
Arthur Bayliss 28
Arthur Bayliss 7
Lily Bayliss 5
William Bayliss 3 months
Amy Premer 16

Last edited:
Many thanks Aston lad, JKC, and Di.Poppitt, you have ancouraged me to continue looking.
Cheers

Back