• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Battle Of The Somme 1 July Centenary

thanks from me too steve...it is good to know that these men will never be forgotton...steve i sent you an email a couple of weeks back..not sure if you received it ok..

lyn

I thought I would add some pictures I took at the Bovington tank museum two weeks ago they have an excellent WW1 display there including this running 'replica' of an Mk IV tank dating from around 1917. I was also at the Imperial War museum this week and again they have a very good section on WW1

Attachments

• DSCN8036.JPG
    DSCN8036.JPG
    749.5 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN8037.JPG
    DSCN8037.JPG
    734.6 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN8040.JPG
    DSCN8040.JPG
    720.7 KB · Views: 17
Hi Steve,

I was at "Bovvy" last year and thought the indooor reconstruction of a WW1 trench was a wonderful thing, even down to the German soldier looking up in terror at the tank.
Back in the 60s while I was on my first course there, there used to one of those tanks roaring around the camp, I'm wondering if that's the one you've photographed.

Maypolebaz

Perhaps it is but this one was also on display and several others I did not photograph as I was only interested in the 'male' tanks as I have located where two of them were knocked out in Sept 1916 around Flers in France. I have read that they do not run these older ones now as there are so rare and need preserving. The German soldier is still there and looks just as terrified.

Steve R

Attachments

• DSCN8041.JPG
    DSCN8041.JPG
    706.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Hello Rowan - it's wonderful to hear this about Arthur and I have tried to contact you privately but have been unsuccessful - it's really urgent that I speak to you so do hope we can be in touch.
Regards Pat.
Hello Pat, I have only just noticed your message of July 9th 2016 re: contacting me. I assume it is regarding a Quincey. I have sent you a PM

Folk
I will be visiting the Somme battlefield again in March. If there is anybody out there who wishes me to take a photograph of a grave or monument etc please PM me with the details. I will need as much as you can give concerning full name, service number, regiment etc. If I can get there I will for you and it won't cost you a penny. Picture will be sent electronically. so please supply and email address.
Steve R

i am trying to understand the formation of the Birmingham Pals during WW1. I know there was a tremendous reaction to Kitcheners call to arms from Brummies but were the Pals mainly classed as non manual applicants?

Remembering three Old Veseyans/Suttonians who lost their lives on this day:

2/Lt. George Russell Courtney Martin (aged 24), 1/6th Warks, of Hartopp Court.
2/Lt. Sidney Joseph Winkley (20) 1/6th Warks, of Hartopp Road.
2/Lt. Stanley John Ellison (19), 1st/5th S. Staffs of "Wyndhurst", Driffold.

At least 12 more would follow them over the coming weeks in the same battle.

(Source: "Pro Patria Mori", 1999, by Dave Phillips)

Chris
Hi Chris,
I appreciate your post is nearly 8 years ago but noted the names George Martin and Sidney Winkley. They are commemorated on both the All Saints Church, Four Oaks memorial and the Sutton Coldfield War Memorial in King Edwards Square. Stanley Ellison and his brother Douglas are also on the Sutton Coldfield War Memorial. Details of these four men are included on the Royal Sutton Coldfield Great War Project website https://www.sutton-coldfield.net/memorial/war memorial.html.

I've particular interest in Martin and Winkley as I've researched all the men listed on the All Saints Church https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/231054. All of the men on that memorial are detailed on the above Royal Sutton Coldfield Great War Project which is in the process of being updated and will include the additional information I've provided about Martin and Winkley. Both were initially reported as wounded and missing in the Birmingham Gazette on July 14th 1916 (cutting below). I've also included images of both the men below, George Martin being the image with no text label.
Hope this is of interest.

1710328662142.png1710328695832.png1710328716374.png

Back