• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Battle of Fromelles

williams

master brummie
I have just been reading about the archeological dig at the site of the battle of Fromelles, northern France, it took place in 1916. The remains of soldiers who died there have been excavated and are being interred into a military memorial ground, a few miles away. It's said that soldiers of regiments from around Britain, including Warwickshire, fought there. I was wondering in any of our historians on the web would know which regiments from Warwickshire would have fought there Regards Jackie

Understand they are taking DNA samples and are going to try and identified as many bodies as they can. Doesn't sound like a very nice task but one that will be deeply moving for those whose relatives get identified.

The new cemetery is not miles away from the burial pits, but just a couple of hundred yards. I visited the site of both a couple of weeks ago.

The Warwickshire units involved were the 2/5th, 2/6th, 2/7th and 2/8th Battalions of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, which were all Territorial units under command of 61st (2nd South Midland) Division.

I have a bit of info on my website at https://www.1914-1918.net/bat15E_Fromelles.html

My girlfriend has been contacted by the MOD and passed on the information to her great uncle who was DNA tested. He let us know that it was confirmed to him that one of the soldiers was definatly their reletive Charles Edward Hyett from the 2nd/6th bt Royal Warwickshire.

Chesh, my dad has also been contacted and one of his relatives is believed to be there, they are doing DNA tests, we eagerly await the outcome. It will be nice for these men to finally be laid to rest in a proper grave :)

Just posted a item on Royal Warwickshire site which would have been better on this Fromelles thread.

The Radio Sussex programme below about Percy Bliss, my wife's uncle, a member of Royal Warwicks killed at Fromelle in 1916. Part of the BBC World War 1 at Home series

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02p9xj1

Last edited:
Hi Jim. Thanks for posting the very interesting programme about Percy Bliss at Fromelles. A programme well worth listening to

Viv.

Back