• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Battery Power

Yes. That's another one I used. I also remember using one battery that had different voltage tappings on it.

I tried various battery's to power an electric cart I made or to power a 'Lucas King of the road' 12volt spotlight. I knew nothing of 'Ohms Law' or electrics in general. I just kept experimenting. Later in life I became an electrician. I realised how futile my efforts were as a child to try and power everything from an 'Ever-Ready' battery not understanding different voltages and current draw.
love it.......Bob i was the same. wish they had rechargeables back then. :grinning::grinning:

Pete,

That guy seemed to make hard work of making a grid bias battery - looks all very posh and that, but ,,,,,, I remember as a kid I bought a silly little build-it-yourself electric motor by Mail Order from Wm Penn Ltd. Well you didn't even get what you paid for with that shyster outfit, so my uncle made a proper one for me, wound the armature, added a proper commutator, and it went well and was quite powerful, but rather heavy on battery power. No problem he said, and the following week came back with all the bits to make a pair of Leclanché cells. Zinc rods for the negative side, porous ceramic pots full of manganese dioxide with a carbon rod for the positive side and the whole contraption is immersed in a big glass jar and filled with a solution of sal ammoniac. That worked a treat and lasted for ages and was just a matter of renewing the chemicals to set it all going again. I hadn't see one of those since my physics days at school. And the chemicals were available at the local drysalters - there used to be one on Stratford Road almost next door to the British Restaurant by Formans Road.

Happy days. That was how to have fun as a kid! By then I'd grown a bit too old for cowboys & indians. :)

Maurice :cool:

Pete,

That guy seemed to make hard work of making a grid bias battery - looks all very posh and that, but ,,,,,, I remember as a kid I bought a silly little build-it-yourself electric motor by Mail Order from Wm Penn Ltd. Well you didn't even get what you paid for with that shyster outfit, so my uncle made a proper one for me, wound the armature, added a proper commutator, and it went well and was quite powerful, but rather heavy on battery power. No problem he said, and the following week came back with all the bits to make a pair of Leclanché cells. Zinc rods for the negative side, porous ceramic pots full of manganese dioxide with a carbon rod for the positive side and the whole contraption is immersed in a big glass jar and filled with a solution of sal ammoniac. That worked a treat and lasted for ages and was just a matter of renewing the chemicals to set it all going again. I hadn't see one of those since my physics days at school. And the chemicals were available at the local drysalters - there used to be one on Stratford Road almost next door to the British Restaurant by Formans Road.

Happy days. That was how to have fun as a kid! By then I'd grown a bit too old for cowboys & indians. :)

Maurice :cool:
he sure did our maurice..... na there are still loads of cowboys about:grinning:

You no longer see any of those large, chunky batteries (about 3”x2” squared). What were they for ? I remember we had them at home but can’t remember what they were for ? Viv.
Vivienne it could have been two what you're describing , first one Ever Ready 1289 alternatively B126 , At places I've worked they used to sell hundreds of batteries not so many of the above as I think they were on the way out .

Back