• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Battery low, being locked out.

jimbo

master brummie
Could anyone offer advice with this problem please? When I open my computer a message appears telling me my battery is low and to plug it in. The battery is fully charged so does not need plugging in. When I click on the message to close it, it locks me out of the computer. I suspect it might be a scam of some sort but not being very tech savvy I’m not sure what to do. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
PS I’m using the wife’s tablet to post this.
Thanks in advance.
jimbo

I'm assuming this is a laptop?

See what happens if you remove the battery and run it off the power supply (charger).

If its a desktop it suggests the bios battery needs replacing.

I'm assuming this is a laptop?

See what happens if you remove the battery and run it off the power supply (charger).

If its a desktop it suggests the bios battery needs replacing.
jukebox, have taken your advice and not one to tempt fate but it seems to be working so thank you. I suppose I will require a new battery but in he meantime is it OK to just run it off the mains supply? The date on the old battery is 2011 07 so it doesn't owe me anything.

If the battery is old it could show "fully charged" but only hold a small amount of power.
This must be the problem. After taking jukebox's advice to run it off the mains supply through the charger, it seems to be working OK so a new battery is required. Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated.

Buying these is a bit hit and miss! Last one I bought was £11.49 from ebay in 2019 and it's still OK. I did buy two together a few years ago and they both died within a week. Just check that the seller offers a guarantee. Don't expect any of them to last 10 years though!

Buying these is a bit hit and miss! Last one I bought was £11.49 from ebay in 2019 and it's still OK. I did buy two together a few years ago and they both died within a week. Just check that the seller offers a guarantee. Don't expect any of them to last 10 years though!
Morning jukebox Most of the ones I have looked at offer 12months guarantee and vary in price from around £14:00 up to £40:00, so I will try for one in the middle bracket. Thank you once again for your help and thanks also to pjmburns, much appreciated.

Back