• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bath Street

B

bernidefish

what happened to The Bishops House on Bath street?? My mum used to work there as a domestic in 1951. Her name was MARY KELLY. Anyone know of her or the place??

My Great, Great Gran (ie. My Gran's Gran) lived in Bath Street behind St Chad Catherdral. She owned a grocery shop on Bath Street and her and my G.G. Grandad ran The Crown on Corporation Street. My Gran who is now 87, was born in the house on Bath Street and always tell me about what it was like when she was young in the 1920's my Gran moved to Hay Mills/ Small Heath when she was a bit older. I love listenening to all her stories about old Birmingham and what it was like. Anyone who know anyone who lived here or anything about the families from round here I would be very interested.

Hi Brummie Lad I have found part of the family I am researching ( Curley ) lived at Bath Street in 1861 with a family called Coleman and in 1871 they were living at 5 Bath Street. I guess these houses are gone now. I don't know anything about this family as I am just starting to look into them
from Dorothy

my great granfather thos brueton was born round the corner of bath st in 1884 at little shadwell st . he was a tinsmith and i have heard they where scrap iron dealers i would love to find out more about my brummie relatives

Hi Sally ,I had the impression from another part of the forum that your great grandfather was killed at the Somme and the only one to fit that criteria was Theophilus b. 1890,if this is correct he only had 2 children with his wife Isabella Derrington
Isobel D Brueton b. 1912
Theophilus J Brueton b. 1914

I also believe Isabella may have had 2 more children after Theophilus death
Albert Brueton 1920 mmmn Derrington
Samuel G Brueton 1925 mmn Derrington.

I can find no other Brueton/Derrington marriage so I presume these 2 were illegitimate.It was perfectly legal for her to register them this way her name was still Brueton and her maiden name was Derrington.

If you are sure that your great granfather died at the Somme it must be Theophilus.Perhaps you could let us have your fathers name or mothers if it is the maternal side and approx year of birth and we can track back for you.

im not sure if it is same family , cos my granpa was not called theophulis or albert he was called ron but not sure if this is the name he was christened . iv been on army sites and there is a leonard brueton who was in army and died in 1920 i wonder if thats his father , his mother remarried but my granpa kept his fathers name . i think one of the familys names is sage on my granpas side . my granpas family where never talked about much so its not easy to trace them . my cousin says they had a scrap business in birmingham that made furniture out of scrap iron and my granpa was always making gold watches from scrap ones .

thanks for your help alberta , its all a bit odd because some of the family say he had no siblings and others say he did maybe his mum married another brueton, a brother in law? . i know one thing brueton is definatly a birmingham name and im glad because you lot are great . theres a jesse brueton in 1901 census age 15 listed as an inmate!!! they seem to be a family full of characters, my granpa certainly was . i bet hes looking down smiling at me tryin to trace them

Hi Sally i have finally fathomed your family out.I am afraid there appears to be a bit of heresay about the scrap business etc.

Your grandfather was Ronald Henry Brueton died 1996 N Yorkshire

Ronald Henry Brueton born June 20th 1913 Ormskirk Lancs
parents Leonard Brueton and Ethel Crompton.

Leonard Brueton-Ethel Crompton married Ormskirk Lancs June 1912

Leonard Brueton died age 39 in 1920.He was A Quartermaster Sergeant in the Royal Army Ordnance corp.He is buried in this country in Netley military cemetery in Hampshire.He was possibly brought home from France and died in the Royal Victoria hospital which was at the back of the cemetery.
his record says husband of Ethel Brueton.of Ihens cottage, Railway path,Bickerstaffe,Ormskirk,Lancs.

Leonard was born in Aston in March 1881.

In 1924 his widow Ethel married Joseph Wrathall.

Dwelling: 4 Bk 5 Cathcart St
Census Place: Aston, Warwick, England
Source: FHL Film 1341723 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 3028 Folio 92 Page 35
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Elijah BRUETON M 28 M Birmingham, Warwick, England
Rel: Head
Occ: Railway Fireman
Janet BRUETON M 26 F Scotland
Rel: Wife
Howard BRUETON 1 M Birmingham, Warwick, England
Rel: Son
Leonard BRUETON 1 m M
Rel: Son

1891 Havelock Road Saltley,Birmingham
Elijah Brueton age 38 Railway engine driver.
Janet age 36
Howard 11
Leonard 10
May 5
Lily 5 they are registered as twins.

1901 111 Alum roak road,Saltley
Elijah Brueton age 48 Railway engine driver
Janet age 46
Howard 21
Leonard 20
May 15
Lily 18 incorrect she was 15.

Regards Alberta.

wow!!!! thanks again, iv got loads to go on now ,its definatly my granpas family . xxxx

aaawww when photo of my granpa was taken his father may have been dying in a military hospital . what a brave little man he looks to me now , loads of thanks again xxxxxx

Ronald your Grandfather had a brother Leonard H Brueton born Ormskirk 1915 and a half sister Doris Wrathall born 1925 to Joseph and Ethel.

I am Elijah and Janets great grandaughter and live in New Zealand I have a family tree on Lenoards side of the family if anyone is interested
I am trying to trace offspring of Elijahs other son Howard Born 1880 married Lousa Caroline Griffiths 1906 Committed Suicide 1918.
offspring Howard Elij born 1908 Lily May Born 1919 Edith B born 1911 and Leonard B 1913 Louisa remarried Harold Bythall in 1919 and went
on to have eight more children I have a photograph of Leonards marriage to Ethel with Elijah and his twin daughters lily and may on it
as well as members of Ethels family My family tree extends to include Ethel and also my fathers brother Ronald Pat Bowen

Hello and welcome to the best forum around Pat im sure some one will be along to help you

Mau-reece

Hi Thank you for that. I am completely puzzled. Newbie Brummie claims Ron is his grandfather but Ron had 4 daughters Anne Janet Vera and Kay
and all of their children have photos and a family tree. However Elijah had two children Howard and Leonard. Leonard had two boys Ron and
Leonard but there were two leonards born within months of each other one being Howards son and the other being Leonards son. Is it possible I wonder whether Newbie Brummie is in fact on Howards side of the family I wonder. pat.bowen

I am Elijah and Janets great grandaughter and live in New Zealand I have a family tree on Lenoards side of the family if anyone is interested
I am trying to trace offspring of Elijahs other son Howard Born 1880 married Lousa Caroline Griffiths 1906 Committed Suicide 1918.
offspring Howard Elij born 1908 Lily May Born 1919 Edith B born 1911 and Leonard B 1913 Louisa remarried Harold Bythall in 1919 and went
on to have eight more children I have a photograph of Leonards marriage to Ethel with Elijah and his twin daughters lily and may on it
as well as members of Ethels family My family tree extends to include Ethel and also my fathers brother Ronald Pat Bowen
Pat, I am also their GG grand daughter. I would love to see the photo of elijah and my great grandma May Violet Brueton . Thanks !

Hi NicholaH

As Pat Bowen is marked as a guest, it means she is no longer a member of the forum and the post you refer to was made in 2010, but hang on in there as perhaps another member may be able to put you in touch with her.

My Great, Great Gran (ie. My Gran's Gran) lived in Bath Street behind St Chad Catherdral. She owned a grocery shop on Bath Street and her and my G.G. Grandad ran The Crown on Corporation Street. My Gran who is now 87, was born in the house on Bath Street and always tell me about what it was like when she was young in the 1920's my Gran moved to Hay Mills/ Small Heath when she was a bit older. I love listenening to all her stories about old Birmingham and what it was like. Anyone who know anyone who lived here or anything about the families from round here I would be very interested.
Would you know the house number where your Gran was born in Bath St ? Would you have ant photos of the shop or the area?
N S Phillips

Back