• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bath Street Birmingham 4

moving this thread to the streets section of the forum...will have a look in my files to see if i can add any photos to those already posted by mike

lyn

here is another one pauline dated 1959 bath st taken from gt charles st showing the crown pubBath Street and Snowhill from Great Charles Street with The Crown Pub.jpg

lyn

here is another one pauline dated 1959 bath st taken from gt charles st showing the crown pubView attachment 135815

lyn
Thank you once again, memories are flooding back of the old Street where I lived, went to church at St. Chads.
also got married there. Happy, but hard times, never afraid to walk along Bath Street, lots of work places, as it was known as the Gun Quarter. Small Gun Smiths etc. Seeing the photographs takes me back to childhood. Our house had one living room, one bedroom and an attic that had fungi growing out of the ceiling. Living there was mom,(my father was deceased) and my siblings. 2 brothers and 2 sisters making 6. Mom kept the house spotless, everything had its place (it had to be as there was no room for it, to be littered). We were happy.

r house consisted of
a living room, 1 bedroom

lovely memories pauline...i was born in our nans back to back in aston...nan in one bedroom mom dad and my brother in the other...like most folk we didnt have a lot but what we did have was kept spotless..people had a lot of pride in those days even sweeping the pavements outside their houses...

lyn

lovely memories pauline...i was born in our nans back to back in aston...nan in one bedroom mom dad and my brother in the other...like most folk we didnt have a lot but what we did have was kept spotless..people had a lot of pride in those days even sweeping the pavements outside their houses...

lyn
I have never lived in a house that did not have a garden and fronted the street. However, I do remember - and there are films and documentaries supporting this - that many of the women folk scrubbed their thresholds and doorsteps, polishing the brass if it was there. There was a saying in the past, about a houseproud and home loving woman, that "it is so clean that you could eat of the floor". I never saw it done, but I knew what it meant. ;)

Last edited:
Been studying the photographs of Bath Street, the one with St. Chads church and the houses and the factory showing Walkers Fine Tools 60 these were not there when I was a child. It was an open space with a lot of steps leading to the side of the church. We used to play there with our dolls. We also used to go into church to christen our dolls and on on occasion we had a cardboard box which contained my cat which had died, we had a little service then buried him on the peck. We always had a look out in case the priest or nuns caught us. The service was held by the holy water by the doors that led into the church, so not actually inside. Remember the Bishops house opposite the church where the priests lived, I had been inside there. What a lot of memories a few photographs bring.

The Barrel Inn corner of Bath Street and Snow Hill from a London exhibition of inn signs. Viv.7795EE94-EE56-4AC0-9334-3CE284932A2E.jpeg

Thank you once again.
I remember the Bishops house on the corner of Weaman street and as a child I had to go there to take Mass requests when it was my father's anniversary. I would ring the bell and then the door opened and the housekeeper would let me into the hallway to wait for the priest. It always smelt of polish and I stood rooted to the spot incase my shoes left a dirty mark on the floor. The Bishops house was just along the street from where I lived.

Back