• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

BATH ROW LADYWOOD

Lyn great pics, picture 4 the garage when I was a lad they acquired a drinks machine . Tea, coffee, chocolate , vegetable soup , me and a mate always went for the soup , thinking back now it was terrible but it was new to us

Don't agree with early 1960's as a date for photo 1. There is not one car from the 1950's in the photo, the tram tracks are still there and the bus stop design, in most cases, had changed by then. The bus appears to be a pre WW2 Leyland which would more than likely by one of Roseberry Streets allocation. Most had gone by the mid 1950's and newer buses , also Leylands, had taken their place.
Agree with you Alan, the most modern car is the Vanguard and the bus is definitely prewar design
Bob

Great photos of Bath Row, Lyn- many thanks! In post no. 16, the 6th photo: does the bill poster on the wall say "Soccer Sissies"? What could it be referring to, I wonder?

Great photos of Bath Row, Lyn- many thanks! In post no. 16, the 6th photo: does the bill poster on the wall say "Soccer Sissies"? What could it be referring to, I wonder?

certainly looks like that what the poster says alf..no idea what it means though

lyn

An important set of photos Lyn. The only buildings still standing since they were taken are the hospital and St. Thomas’ Church. Great photos. Viv.

An important set of photos Lyn. The only buildings still standing since they were taken are the hospital and St. Thomas’ Church. Great photos. Viv.

thanks viv i thought the same.. been going through my files of photos i have not posted .just about to start a thread for ladywood road...pretty sure we dont have one

lyn.

I take it you mean 1950s. Map below pub 1952, probably surveyed about 1950, with 40 in red

map_c_1952_showing_no_40_Bath_Row.jpg
Hi, Do you think this map would have been the same in the 1840s and 1850s? I'm researching a family, the Faulkners, who lived at 21 Bath Row during that time, cheers, Heather

There would have been some differences, in particular it would not have been so built-up. Do not have a large scale map of Bath row , but below is one showing Bath Row labelled 1851, which shows that there were less buildings.
a3b2.a3b3.jpg

There would have been some differences, in particular it would not have been so built-up. Do not have a large scale map of Bath row , but below is one showing Bath Row labelled 1851, which shows that there were less buildings.
View attachment 146665
Many thanks! This is great! Would the blue have been the canal? There are lots of excellent details of the surrounding area, very helpful indeed.

View attachment 146665

Mike I wonder can you explain what that name is between Five Ways and Broad St it looks like Inglington to me , not to be confused with Islington Row .

It is just Islington.That part of Broad st from Five ways to Gas St was then called that

Back