• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bateman, Icknield Street. Hockley.

barrie

master brummie
Can you tell me please if there is a listing around this time, for a Mrs Bateman at a second hand shop in Icknield St. I don't know the number, but it was almost opposite The Mint. Thank you.

barrie.

here you are I have put a couple of street names in so you can work out where it was

ScreenHunter_5640 Jun. 19 00.44.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
HI BAZZ,how are you keeping ?fine i hope.are you related to the batemans .
I REMEMBER THE FAMILY VERY WELL OPP,, THE MINT .
I USED TO LIVE UP THE ROAD AT SRING HILL, THERE WAS A NUMBER 8 .CLOCK IN FOR THE NUMBER 8 BUS DRIVERS THERE ,
I BOUGHT ONE OR TWO THINGS FROM THERE , AND THERE WAS A YOUNG SON WHOM USED TO GO TO ICKNIELD ST SCHOOL, WITH MY KID BROTHER , DAVE .ITS A SMALL WORLD BAZZ, YEH,,
BY THE WAY I HAVEN,T HAD CHANCE TO GET TO BRUM YET TO GET PIC OF TUBES, HAVE A NICE DAY

Astonian. My aunt Eunice was married to Eric Bateman, their son. Eunice's maiden name was Oldfield. My mom was her sister.

Eric and Eunice Bateman lived down a little entry at the side of the shop. Mrs Bateman senior was a bit of a character, we were there one day having our dinner, she came into the room and said, "get up, I've sold those chairs" and she took them into the shop for some bloke to take away. ;D

Looking again at the posting that John put on here for me from Kelly's Directory, I've just realised that Gt Western Terrace was where my Aunt and Uncle, Eunice and Eric Bateman lived. We had used to go and see them a lot during the war, when we lived in Hunters Rd.

I have got a picture of their wedding somewhere in the house. I'll dig it out and post it on here, perhaps Astonian will remember them. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
HI BAZZ AGAIN ,LOOOK FOREWARD TO THE PICS, IF YOU CAN DIG
THEM OUT, MRS BATEMAN SENIOR WAS TRULY A CHARACTER,
I DO REMEMBER HER, WHEN EVER I WENT INTO HE SHOP
I WOULD SEE HER SITTING IN THE BACK OF THE SHOP,
AND I WOULD HOPE SHE DON,T COME OUT TO SERVE ME.
CO,S I KNEW WHAT SHE WAS LIKE. ALSO I CAN RECALL AN OLD FRIENDS
WHOM LIVED DOWN THERE, MICK OVERCROFT, AND THE LUCKMAN,S
MICK OVERCROFT WENT TO ST . MARYS SCHOOL AT THE AVENUE OFF
ASTON ROAD NORTH ALONG FROM THE GOLDEN CROSS.PUB
THEY LIVED UP THE TERRACE AS WELL, THEN THE LUCKMAN
MOVED UP ON TO SPRING HILL. THEN MICK WENT TO ICKNIELD ST WITH US
AND WITH MY TWO COUSIN,S BRYAN , AND BARRY PHELPS, SPEAK TO YOU SOON BAZZ.

What lovely stories come out on this website, finding old and forgotten links.
My great-aunt Tizzie (Elizabeth) Smith kept a general store at 13 Ellen Street until 1952 I think. Or it might have been No. 24, as another great-Aunt Olive or Mary Cantell (Auntie Jack to me) lived there in the only house with red cardinal on the doorstep, and two mind-your-own-business plants in drain pots on the windowsill. A nice old soul was Auntie Tizzie, although a lady of few words, but most kids got a sweet or a chocolate every time when went in. Five dustcart loads to empty the house after she died. Her mum's wedding dress from the 1870s was still hanging up upstairs.
Peter

I USED TO LIVE UP THE ROAD AT SRING HILL, THERE WAS A NUMBER 8 .CLOCK IN FOR THE NUMBER 8 BUS DRIVERS THERE ,
I BOUGHT ONE OR TWO THINGS FROM THERE , AND THERE WAS A YOUNG SON WHOM USED TO GO TO ICKNIELD ST SCHOOL, WITH MY KID BROTHER , DAVE .ITS A SMALL WORLD BAZZ, YEH,,
BY THE WAY I HAVEN,T HAD CHANCE TO GET TO BRUM YET TO GET PIC OF TUBES, HAVE A NICE DAY
I appreciate this is a really old thread. I am the
I appreciate this is an old thread but I am the great granddaughter of the Mrs Bateman referred to above that had the shop. My Nan, Lil, took over the shop, it was called W E Busby then and I am looking for photos of the shop. I’m not sure if you know of any please.

I'm assuming it is no. 207. If so there is photo of The Royal Mint which was no. 200, so not great but 207 is probably visible further down on the same side. The photo is here...

I appreciate this is a really old thread. I am the

I appreciate this is an old thread but I am the great granddaughter of the Mrs Bateman referred to above that had the shop. My Nan, Lil, took over the shop, it was called W E Busby then and I am looking for photos of the shop. I’m not sure if you know of any please.
hi faye i have already posted you a photo of the shop on the busby bric a brac thread

lyn

hi faye i have already posted you a photo of the shop on the busby bric a brac thread

lyn
Thank you, I have seen that and plan to print it. The information that was posted further down the thread provided a bit more info which lead me to this thread too.

I'm assuming it is no. 207. If so there is photo of The Royal Mint which was no. 200, so not great but 207 is probably visible further down on the same side. The photo is here...

I believe the shop was 267

I originally stated that it was 267, after looking at the names section of Kellys. However, if you look at the street section it clearly states 207. The 267 must be a missprint in the names section, as you can clearly see the position in the street at 207. That is why I altered my post and added"corrected" to the post

Back