• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Baskerville residential school/ hospital Yewcroft School

I have just joined and found your post, I was at that school 1962/63 people there had all sorts of illness's heart problems, asthma problems most of us kids were from the back to back houses of brum.
I was in there in 1962 aged 10 looking back it was interesting times, but I was too young to know that then.

I was a resident of this school from 1962 until 1964. I was sent there to convalesce after I got rheumatic fever. I was initially very sad and homesick and missed my family terribly but I made friends with a boy called John Whitehouse (a friendship which lasted well into my teens) who helped me recover so much that I would call the period I spent at Baskerville one of the happiest of my life. A poster on this thread David Seymour I remember well and also the people he mentioned and many more. One reason for the homesickness was that visits from family were restricted to only one two hour visit per fortnight and only two people per visit. The sweets left by visitors were put in a box and we were only allowed something from the box on rare occasions, I think only after tea on Sundays.
Like David, I recall Nurses Bell and Southall and there was also an Irish and Scottish nurse there whose names I have forgotten. The husband of the Irish nurse would sometimes take us Catholics up to St Mary's church in Harborne for Mass. Also, we would sometimes be taken on little trips to the Clent Hills and once to see Aston Villa play Manchester United. Villa won 2-1, Denis Law was sent off and I remember the shaven headed Derek Dougan.

The headmistress was Miss Jenkins who seemed very severe and from another era. She had quarters on the first floor and I remember going there to earn part of my Cubs housekeeper badge. I was part of a class she supervised preparing for the 11 plus. She tried very hard to inculcate us with Greek mythology and also English literature.

Teachers I remember were Miss Burfitt who had a broad Lancashire accent. She was very warm and kind and led the assembly for us Catholics every morrning. A Scottish teacher Mrs Faulkner gained a reputation for giving lines as a punishment. Mr Edwards who gave some of us lessons in elementary woodwork but one of my dearest memories was him giving chemistry lectures and demonstrations in his house which was separate from the main school building. Unfortunately, these were spoiled as he insisted on total silence and things usually descended into him bawling at the top of his voice, which was sad as he clearly worked very hard to prepare these lessons for us. There was also a tall female teacher with a deep voice who encouraged my first efforts at English composition.

We slept in large dormitories. After lights out, we would spend many happy hours listening on small 'transistor' radio's to pirate radio stations Caroline and London as well as Luxembourg. Some of us would go for nocturnal walks around the school grounds on exciting 'dares'. Sometimes we would even meet up with a party from the girls dormitories.

Other inmates I recall were Michael Noonan, whose sister Pat also worked at the school, Peter Stewart, Michael Ullah, Alistair Kavanagh, Pat Naughton, Janice Robinson, Michael White and Tony Douglas. There was a system of coloured badges which indicated how active or quiet you had to be which ranged from yellow with green stripe (quiet D) who had to only walk and talk quietly to green who could run and shout.

When you had a cold you were sent to a separate ward called Isolation until you were well again. We had different teachers to the rest of the school and I remember getting lessons in art from a teacher who taught us to closely observe the lovely garden scenes through the windows and try to paint them.

There was a room near the front door which was used as a TV room where we watched the very first episodes of Doctor Who and also Diskjock Jury (I'll give it foyve). This was near the magnificent entrance area which had a beautiful polished wooden floor and carved wooden staircase. The fireplace also was impressive which in the winter often had a real fire. On the first floor there was a banister which went all around. At Christmas the staff would all gather around this banister and together with us children sing Christmas carols before the beautifully decorated Christmas tree. It was here that I read in the morning newspaper about the death of President Kennedy.

It was really hard to begin with but I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.
Hi, it’s Michael White here, I was searching for for my past and came across your post. Sadly, your memory is far superior than mine, I can still see images in my mind from that time, but names escape me. Although I was there for the same reasons of you, a part of me misses the friends I cannot name.

Hi. Have just joined as I am currently Assistant Headteacher at Baskerville School. We are now a school for youngsters aged 11-19yrs with Autism and as part of the city's Building Schools for the Future programme we are due to have a major refurbishment/rebuild. As part of the process our planners have had to dig out old plans and maps that have ignited my interest in the school's past. All of your messages are really interesting for me. From my very brief research the original Baskerville House was on the site in the 1800s and became a school for 'physically defective children' in the 1940/50s. Sometime in the 70s the school was moved to the bottom of the old house's grounds where it now still stands. I think that half of the old school still remains as Yewcroft (presumably when the house was burned down?) - now a resource centre for adults with mental health difficulties. I would be very grateful for any more information (including any photos or maps) and will be happy, after the Christmas break, to try and post copies of any information our planners unearth.
I sometimes drive past on my way to the Metallurgy department at Birmingham University and I find it very hard not to park up and walk in. I was there in 1962 and have never forgotten the fantastic way I was treated by the people that worked there.

Thank you for post on the forum. We strongly advise members not to post their personal email addresses on the thread. Your email address and data could be harvested and used for scams, fraud, and identity theft. If you wish other members to contact you, then its best if you advise them to use the “Start Conversation” facility we provide. This then protects you and your privacy.

Just click on the small envelope at the top right hand corer of the page and click start a new conversation. Pop the name of the member in the recipient’s box, a title of your message next, then away you go with your conversation in the box below.

I was a resident of this school from 1962 until 1964. I was sent there to convalesce after I got rheumatic fever. I was initially very sad and homesick and missed my family terribly but I made friends with a boy called John Whitehouse (a friendship which lasted well into my teens) who helped me recover so much that I would call the period I spent at Baskerville one of the happiest of my life. A poster on this thread David Seymour I remember well and also the people he mentioned and many more. One reason for the homesickness was that visits from family were restricted to only one two hour visit per fortnight and only two people per visit. The sweets left by visitors were put in a box and we were only allowed something from the box on rare occasions, I think only after tea on Sundays.
Like David, I recall Nurses Bell and Southall and there was also an Irish and Scottish nurse there whose names I have forgotten. The husband of the Irish nurse would sometimes take us Catholics up to St Mary's church in Harborne for Mass. Also, we would sometimes be taken on little trips to the Clent Hills and once to see Aston Villa play Manchester United. Villa won 2-1, Denis Law was sent off and I remember the shaven headed Derek Dougan.

The headmistress was Miss Jenkins who seemed very severe and from another era. She had quarters on the first floor and I remember going there to earn part of my Cubs housekeeper badge. I was part of a class she supervised preparing for the 11 plus. She tried very hard to inculcate us with Greek mythology and also English literature.

Teachers I remember were Miss Burfitt who had a broad Lancashire accent. She was very warm and kind and led the assembly for us Catholics every morrning. A Scottish teacher Mrs Faulkner gained a reputation for giving lines as a punishment. Mr Edwards who gave some of us lessons in elementary woodwork but one of my dearest memories was him giving chemistry lectures and demonstrations in his house which was separate from the main school building. Unfortunately, these were spoiled as he insisted on total silence and things usually descended into him bawling at the top of his voice, which was sad as he clearly worked very hard to prepare these lessons for us. There was also a tall female teacher with a deep voice who encouraged my first efforts at English composition.

We slept in large dormitories. After lights out, we would spend many happy hours listening on small 'transistor' radio's to pirate radio stations Caroline and London as well as Luxembourg. Some of us would go for nocturnal walks around the school grounds on exciting 'dares'. Sometimes we would even meet up with a party from the girls dormitories.

Other inmates I recall were Michael Noonan, whose sister Pat also worked at the school, Peter Stewart, Michael Ullah, Alistair Kavanagh, Pat Naughton, Janice Robinson, Michael White and Tony Douglas. There was a system of coloured badges which indicated how active or quiet you had to be which ranged from yellow with green stripe (quiet D) who had to only walk and talk quietly to green who could run and shout.

When you had a cold you were sent to a separate ward called Isolation until you were well again. We had different teachers to the rest of the school and I remember getting lessons in art from a teacher who taught us to closely observe the lovely garden scenes through the windows and try to paint them.

There was a room near the front door which was used as a TV room where we watched the very first episodes of Doctor Who and also Diskjock Jury (I'll give it foyve). This was near the magnificent entrance area which had a beautiful polished wooden floor and carved wooden staircase. The fireplace also was impressive which in the winter often had a real fire. On the first floor there was a banister which went all around. At Christmas the staff would all gather around this banister and together with us children sing Christmas carols before the beautifully decorated Christmas tree. It was here that I read in the morning newspaper about the death of President Kennedy.

It was really hard to begin with but I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.
That takes me back, lovely to read, your memory is better than mine. Regards, Mike White.

Back