• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Baskerville House - Centenary Square

Clearing the way for the building of the Civic Centre in the 1930s. Is it me or has this area been one vast, ongoing building site for near on the last 100 years ! Viv.

image.jpeg

It could seem that way Vivienne especially to those just looking on. It is those who have had to endure and keep adjusting to road and bus route changes that have my sympathy. :eek:

Baskerville House is about 80 years old now.

Some new views with all the current redevelopments going on around it.

From Bridge Street. The site nearby is 5 Centenary Square (was 1 Arena Central - former site of the Register Office).

Heading onto Broad Street. Hoardings for the Centenary Square redevelopment. They had moved the temporary pedestrian crossing slightly to the left beyond the Hyatt Hotel.

From the Library of Birmingham Discovery Terrace. Paradise Birmingham is over to the right.

Up to the Secret Garden, and there is scaffolding on the roof. Paradise Birmingham - One and Two Chamberlain Square seen behind.

A 1961 photo of Baskerville House taken from a favourite spot for photographers. I've only been inside the building once as a very small child when we had to queue for ration books in WW2.
BaskervilleHouse1961.jpg

old Mohawk, that is how I remember it, perfect, why was it not left like that, a peaceful place to sit and relax - Now look at it! Eric

No money is raised by a grassed leaisure area in a city centre. Far more profitable to build and get rent/taxes etc. :rolleyes:

Yes, never mind what the ratepayers want. All we have now is Saint Phillips. Other city centres have green areas to relax in. London has Hyde Park, Regents Park, Green park plus numerous squares, a large green area behind Parliament etc... Eric. We are supposed to be the 2nd City. Eric

Last edited:
Not only has there been the loss of central areas for relaxation it is quite noticeable, from the photos posted on BHF relating to the present re-developments, that most of the older, substantially constructed and architecturally pleasant buildings, are being overshadowed and hidden by modern, monolithic structures principally having an outward skin of glazing. Most seem bereft of any true artistic details.

Yes, never mind what the ratepayers want. All we have now is Saint Phillips. Other city centres have green areas to relax in. London has Hyde Park, Regents Park, Green park plus numerous squares, a large green area behind Parliament etc... Eric. We are supposed to be the 2nd City. Eric
Eric
At the moment you do not even have St Phillips, as it is full of stalls, many just dispensing expensive tat

Go to St Paul's Square in the Jewellery Quarter. You can still sit and relax there. Or the Peace Garden or City Centre Gardens. Those are the only areas in the city centre that I can think of where you can now site and relax on a bench. Unless you go to Warstone Lane or Key Hill cemeteries!

I suppose its my age, I just prefer Birmingham City centre as it was before the 60's transformation. When is the finish date to all the present upheaval, assuming there is one, although I doubt if I will ever visit the City centre again. Eric

New paving in Centenary Square outside of Baskerville House, the Hall of Memory and the Library of Birmingham. Area around the Edward VII statue appears to be complete.

In 2009 before the library was built, you had your last chance to see the Flame of Hope

It's enough to make me weep , living at No 59 Cambridge Tower Brindley Drive for a couple of years late 60's . I viewed this one time beautiful looking building and surrounding area from the balcony of the flat . Hate to echo the words of a certain royal but the entire area now says Carbuncle to me

I wonder if this sculpture "Industry and Genius" is going to be returned outside of Baskerville House. It is currently in storage.

Seen in 2009.

Back