• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barts for Darts

I remember passing a lot of those shops as I used to ride on the 5A into town. Walking back from town one day I went into the junk shop opposite the Orient, it was a first for me then, but happily not the last. :)

John will you walk us by the shops past the Witton Arms pub toward ICI and  Brookvale Road, in the early 50's. My mom and her sisters ran a shoe club and always went to Smiths for the shoes. I just can't think where it was, it could be there. :)

I wonder if 'Iommies' was related to Tony Iommie (Black Sabath), I think that he used to live in Park Lane at one time.

your right frank,tony iommi lived just below me in park lane in a sweet shop i think.he also got the sack from hunt and turners in alma street because the gaffer was looking for him and his mate and spotted them coming out of the cafe up the road,when he asked why they said they fancied a bacon sausage so he sacked them on the spot.i bet they were really worried about that

John thank you so much for my walk down Witton Road. So many memories there and names I had forgotten. I also know I wasn't dreaming about Smiths shoe shop, it's there on Witton Circle. :)

hello frank,you know i lived at 88 but even me can only remember the pawn shop and the chip shop,but on my side was the orient ,the malt shovel,the scrap metal place where my mate teddy downes (from denmark street)worked before he tragically got drowned(no more trips to percys the tackle shop on corner of lennox st and gerrard st),manky old book shop,the grocers,arthurs the butchers,where mickey cartwright from whitehead st lived,sweet shop,haberdashery shop(help with the name)barbers,fag shop,izons the chemist,becketts the cleaners ,US ,the junk shop,hawkins the jellied eel shop,rowleys the fruit shop,reenys the hair dressers,burlington hall,kitty parrys wallpaper shop,wood shop,coffin makers,few houses,cant remember whats next,kepples (sinks and plumbing) handbag shop,mitchells the news agents and the bartons and finally the horse trough wher i spent many a miserable time being put in so as as to distract the horse and cart of the milk man while everykid around nicked a bottle of milk and legged it up potters hill,missed a few out but hopefully someone will fill in the gaps
I know this is quite an old post, but percy of percys tackle shop was my father in laws dad. Unfortunately my partner never got to meet his grandad so if anyone has any memories of or knows anything about Percy and his shop we'd love to hear about it

I know this is quite an old post, but percy of percys tackle shop was my father in laws dad. Unfortunately my partner never got to meet his grandad so if anyone has any memories of or knows anything about Percy and his shop we'd love to hear about it
Oh Kez0401, this brings back memories to me of the wonderful kind man who ran the Fishing Tackle shop Lennox St/Gerrard St. I was telling a friend about him recently; I feel ashamed of myself now but 59/60 years ago I was a skint street urchin. One time I was in the shop and the man asked me what i wanted "maggots" I said, "but ive got no money" (which was true) and pretended to cry ! he kindly said "here you are son have these and get yaself down to the reza" and he handed me a small bag of maggots. I hate to admit but did that another couple of time over the months till I managed to start getting some money. How kind that man was I will never forget, and thinking about it now, I think he saw through the pretend tears and just wanted me to enjoy fishing. God Bless him.

Oh Kez0401, this brings back memories to me of the wonderful kind man who ran the Fishing Tackle shop Lennox St/Gerrard St. I was telling a friend about him recently; I feel ashamed of myself now but 59/60 years ago I was a skint street urchin. One time I was in the shop and the man asked me what i wanted "maggots" I said, "but ive got no money" (which was true) and pretended to cry ! he kindly said "here you are son have these and get yaself down to the reza" and he handed me a small bag of maggots. I hate to admit but did that another couple of time over the months till I managed to start getting some money. How kind that man was I will never forget, and thinking about it now, I think he saw through the pretend tears and just wanted me to enjoy fishing. God Bless him.
Thank-you so much for this lovely memory. That would have been Percy or his son Norman as think Percy would have unfortunately already passed away 60years ago.
Thankyou for sharing this with us

Back