• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

BartonsArms Ghost

chris harrison

proper brummie kid
Hi All
A mate of mine who works in the pub trade says the Barton Arms is supposed to be haunted.Can anyone confirm this and do they know what the story is?:skull:

Chris,

Spooky stories concerning the Barton Arms have only recently (over the past couple of years) surfaced - funnily enough through the ministrations of one of the dodgiest 'commercial ghost hunting companies' that you are likely to come across..... I'm not sure if it this site in particular, but, at one of their properties, you had to try and conduct an investigation while the place was still open!!

This isn't to say that The Barton Arms didn't have a paranormal heritage previously, but anything you might currently hear about the site is 'utterly worthless', due to the intervention of such concerns as mentioned previously. Sadly, a hell of a lot of properties (historic and otherwise) are being 'tainted' in this way now - all for the sake of a few quid.

I know from bitter experience that a lot of historians tend to scoff at ghost stories, etc, but - despite this - such things are an integral part of our social history and, unlike the buildings they allegedly inhabit, tales that will go on indefinitely in one form or another...... Sadly, the validity (purity) of this sort of 'history' is being utterly ruined / undermined currently.

Regards,

Nick
www.westmidlandsghostclub.com

This is for you Big M. Peter used to live up the road from this pub and it was said years ago that there was a resident ghost. Jean.

Well, there you go, the pub does allegedly have a haunted history.

However, as mentioned previously, you could put bets that the stories being told about the site today, bear little resemblance to those of a few years ago?? It's incredible what damage a few dodgy psychics, some hysterical punters and the lure of a few extra quid in the pocket can do for the ghostly heritage of a building these days!!!

Regards,

Nick

I was told many years ago that The Bartons was haunted ! It was also said that The Waggon & Horses that was on the High Street near to Webster Street was haunted. The licensee at the time was an Irish lady who constantly complained about a ghost !!

Thanks Roger. I dont know wether you believe in ghosts but the information you have given is quite spooky.My family ran the old Barton Arms but unfortunely they hit trouble mainly due to my great grandfather drinking the stock he ended up in Hatton lunatic asylum his wife Jane struggled to bring up 5 kids and got involved with a married man who turned out to be a nutcase and murdered her in a jealous rage. The spooky bit before they ran the Bartons they ran The Waggon&Horses

What a coincidence I wonder if Nick knows of this story. I have an ancestor who died at Hatton, she was epeleptic. I have her records from the Asylum very sad reading. Chris what year would this have been?

He went to Hatton 1901 Jane was murdered 1906. I have records from Hatton too and he was also down as epeleptic he died in Hatton 1914, you are right the records do make very sad reading.

Chris my great aunt Laura was there at the same time. She died in 1909 I often wondered why someone from Lozells was sent to Hatton. Poor Jane do you know what happened to her children.

To be honest Wendy, I have never really bothered to research into the history of the Barton Arms simply because of the aforementioned factors. I had not heard of the site as a potentially haunted place before it was advertised (tainted?) by the commercial concern and a lot of these buildings become something of a 'lost cause' subsequently.

Can I ask Chris whether the murder of Jane occurred at the Barton Arms, or elsewhere?

Regards,

Nick

Jane was murdered in Tower Road Nick.
Wendy Jane had 3 children of her own plus 2 from her husbands previous wife who died of illness.Janes 3 were Edwin my grandad killed WW1 Greece, Arthur a policeman in South Africa,and John who we carnt trace.
Laura would of seen my great grandad at Hatton as he worked with the the gardeners, so it is possible she would of seen him about,she wouldnt have known him though because the sexes were not allowed to mix.

Back