• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Barton's Arms

sylviasayers

master brummie
Don't know whether this post should be here or in News & Events, but would like to congratulate Manager, Colin Smith and his team on winning
Birmingham's Campaign for Real Ale 2004 Pub of the Year award.

Congrats to The Barton Arms

Well Done!
Is that the 'CAMERA' award, do you know Sylvia?
I have been known to frequent :oops: 'The Black Eagle' in Hockley,which has won the award on a few occasions.
Nowt better than a real brew, with a thick frothy head, some crusty bread, cheese and home made pickles.

Bartons Arms

Yes Sue, it is CAMRA, and I too visit the Black Eagle occasionally, great pub and staff, pity about the location, wouldn't go there in the evenings.

I s'pose this is a digression from the topic but I went to a wedding reception at the Black Eagle and it was the best I've ever been to:

Good food, booze, service; everything was perfect. Luckily, it was in the summer so we sat in the garden and we could've been in a little country pub, apart from the staff were more sociable than you get in the country. :wink:

The bartons for beer?

I agree Paul - we had my sons 21st there earlier this year, and it was the best, for all the reasons you state. I tried to book it for my hubbys 50th, but it was fully booked :cry:

I have never been to The Bartons Arms, but if the beer tastes as good as The Black Eagle, and theres a coach trip - put me name down please.

PS - I was taken (accompanied) into The Flighted Horse recently - well! That WAS an experience :shock:

In the latish 1950s we used to drop in the Bartons Arms to warm up before crosing over to the Aston Hip. I think it was Thursdays they had a variety show compered by Terry "Toby Jug" Cantor, with some amusing stand-up comedians, and under-dressed dancing girls, not that they seemed to be particularly good dancers either. We might have got another in the Barton's after the show, but as LAST ORDERS was at 9.50 pm and you had to be out at 10, it was a bit unlikely.
The Barton's was always lively and apparently well run. I don't recall any trouble, and it was always a superb building.
I went in about five years ago when valiant efforts were being made to keep it going, but I think it was closed for a bit after then. It is really good to see that it is open again, and somebody is trying so hard to build up trade. I do hope they are successful, but it is very hard to do well in catering - there are so many problems like regulations, the cost and difficulty of getting good supplies, competition with rivals and above all the customers. Thank Heavens I turned down an opportunity to get into the pub trade!
Peter

In the 50's we used to go to The Barton's Arms to a jazz club, which was always on Saturday night. It was held in an upstairs room, and the bands were all small local Bimingham groups. We used to jive as well, so it must have been a bit of a racket for anybody downstairs in for a quiet pint. Or maybe they were as noisy as us. :D

You know I was talking about "ploughmans lunch " the other day it must be donkeys years since I have seen and eaten a really decent ploughmans.

big cchunk of crusty berad a nob of butter half a pound of cheese and sweet pickle ..mmmmmmmmmmmm

Don't forget the five pints of Ansells or M & B mild to go with it Colin. :lol:

My dad wouldn't agree with you Peter, his eight pints had to be Ansells.

Twice during my childhood he was persuaded to leave the Aston, his local, to go on holiday and he spent his time away trying to find beer he considered drinkable.

It wasn't a matter of quality, Diana, it was etiquette. You didn't support the opposition - it was like scoring an 'own goal' in football, and you would be a marked man (sorry about the sexism there).
In them days, Ansells had an excellent reputation for its beer and for most of its pubs. I remember the last steam lorries (drays) brought out of storage during WW2, when petrol was short. The advertising slogan was "Ansells- the Better Beer".
Since then both the big breweries have disappeared, though the title 'M&B' has been raised from the dead for the rump estate of managed pubs that Bass/Charrington/Worthington/M&B (to name a few) ran once upon a time, and owing to politicians' intereference, they don't brew any more.
If anything, I think Ansells' history is even sadder. They were taken over by Allied breweries, who owned a large number of breweries. They sold off the Aston Cross brewery to make room for the Aston Expressway, possibly not their fault, although they seemed quite happy to lower standards as their other breweries replaced the Aston. In particular I don't forgive them for setting up a distribution depot in Holford Drive, Perry Barr and calling it the head office of Ansells Brewery.

D'you know, Peter, I've heard some of these young 'uns going out on the beer when, in fact, they've been drinking some terrible imported lager, and from the bottle at that! :roll: What kind of a pastime can that be? :shock:

One cheeky transatlantic pretended even advertises it's lager as being King of Beers! It's a sad old world, isn't it?

Back