• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bartons Arms next Saturday, 24.02.2007

Peter Walker

gone but not forgotten
The following notice comes from the Pubg History Society, and I imagaine one or two BrumHistory Websters would be welcome to attend, if anyone fancies an interesting day out.

Next Saturday 24th February, 2007 the Pub History Society and Friends of the Frothblowers are holding a 'Social afternoon' at the Bartons Arms, Aston, Birmingham. The Boardroom is booked for 12.30 onwards.

The Pre meeting itinerary is.
1100hrs: Wellington, Bennetts Hill
1130hrs: conducted march/ride to the Bartons Arms
1200hrs: gathering
1230hrs: ascend to meeting in Boardroom
1330hrs: descend for food in dining area
1430hrs: relax over another pint or two
1600hrs: walk, bus (or taxi) to other pubs, e.g. White House, Church Inn (Batham's), Anchor, White Swan (Marston's), Old Joint Stock (Fuller's), Wellington (tickers' paradise). As all but the first of these pubs are no more than 15 minutes walk from New Street, party members can leave as and when they wish - and pubs can be missed out by common consent, etc.

All very welcome - RSVP if you like, to Dave Woodhead at - [email protected]

What a brilliant idea Peter. Hope that there is a good turn out. I am looking forward to visiting the renovated Barton's Arms next time I'm in Brum.

Peter, Noted you mentioned the Froth Blowers, started by Sir Alfred Fripp who died in 1930 he was a brilliant surgeon who was a founder of A.O.F.B. members were according to sex, were either “Blowers” or “Belles” supposed to blow the froth from their beer before drinking.....I have inserted clip of his cufflinks in his photo

You would be surprised what we have on this site Frothblower and if you ain't been to the Griffin ya ain't lived

Through Coleshill , B 4114 Shustoke and its on the sharp bend at Furnace end ..........best real ale pub in the Midlands

I know it, smashing pub, it's been a long time since I was there though.
Got any more AOFB snippets.
I have got a pair of Aofb cuffs, a Tankard and membership book.

Two great public houses - the Bartons Arms and The Griffin, real beer.
I was at the Pub History Society / Friends of the Froth Blowers meeting at the Bartons Arms, a thoroughly enjoyable day with some Oakham Ales - lubrication in moderation of course - I know Frothblower was there too, anyone else?

The post by Cromwell is outstanding. I am an AOFB enthusiast/researcher and the picture of Sir Alfred Fripp with AOFB tankard, wearing a monsoon badge is one hell of a turn up for the books. I'd love to know more about it ? especially the copyright as I'd love to include it on the Friends of the Froth Blowers Website. If there's any more info or pictures, anecdotes even, out there then bring it on.

Ion FoFb, if ya donate something to the forum I will let you use it and send ya a better scan of the photo taken in 1929
I was left a substantual amount of old material which I have copied and then put on E-bay

PS I altered original Photo

Last edited by a moderator:
That's mighty fine of you Cromwell. Shame it's already been put on eBay.
I'm always keen to further my knowledge on the AOFB, I'm hoping that other members may be able to add knowledge too. There were quite a few AOFB Vats ( meeting places) in Birmingham, those are going to be a line on research. I'll sort something out for the Forum, AOFB related of course, but in the meantime you can take a look at my website if you like, plug , plug.

https://www.fofb.co.uk/

Ian.

Cromwell, I'm glad it's not been put on eBay - even if that is a yet.
I'm sure that there will be something of interest amongst it - I know that the picture of Sir Alfred Fripp is - I'd love to know the origins, especially if it was taken in Birmingham.
Is it appropriate to post AOFB related pictures here ?

Ian.

Ian and the other Frothblowers Like I say you are welcome to original pic if you want it .......all I ask is a donation to the site.......otherwise it goes on Ebay in a few weeks time ........

8) A few Froth Blower related images.:biggrin:

An AOFB day trip to Cheddar circa 1930
View attachment 6261

Auto Outings for Bairns - AOFB members taking under privilidged children for days out to the seaside or countryside, for many it was the first trip outside of London. Believed to be from the London Evening Star 1925/6.
View attachment 6262

AOFB founder and Honorary Secretary Bert Temple. An image from the AOFB empire day leaflet of 1928. How I'd love to see a photo of Bert.
View attachment 6263

AOFB co-founder Sir Alfred Fripp.
View attachment 6266

Lady Blowers ( possibly an advert for Bass ) circa 1930.
View attachment 6265

I have others - if they are of interest, including some newspaper articles, but the file sizes are quite large.

Any other Froth Blower related goodies out there ?

Ian.

Last edited:
For those who are reading but wondering what the AOFB is / was, here's a newspaper article from the Charleston Daily of 30th December 1928, it goes quite a way to explain what it was all about.

View attachment 6267

The clipping is available in a higher resolution and I'm willing to e-mail out - I've had to reduce it severely so it complies with the maximum size of the attachments allowed.

Alternatively you could visit the Friends of the Froth Blowers Website - https://www.fofb.co.uk/

Ian.

Back