• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barton's Arms High Street Aston

V

Vikki

I'm looking for any information on The Bartons Arms in Aston prior to it's rebuild in the early 1900's.

Any information on owners or landlords or even staff would be appreciated as I can't find anything online about it.

Thanks
Vikki

Vikki

If you put Bartons Arms in the search box at the top of the page that will help you.:)

Thanks Alf, I'd already done that & came up with nothing before 1900.

The Bartons Arms

Vikki have you looked on the main site, John Houghton put a long article there some time ago, I can't recall all the details but it may help you.

Vikki, if you have any surnames you think may have owned the pub, you might be lucky if you request a search in the Kelly's section for the relevant dates.:)

Vikki have you looked on the main site, John Houghton put a long article there some time ago, I can't recall all the details but it may help you.

Hiya, yes I think I have seen that article. I have searched this site for weeks before posting & searched online where I can think.

Thanks though.
Vikki

Vikki,

It would seem there are no records pre-dating its rebuild in 1900/1? Have a look here: https://tinyurl.com/ypfn86https://tinyurl.com/ypfn86

hiya
I've read that page many a times as it happens lol, which is how I knew F S Poole sold the property in 1899.

F S Poole is not a name I am searching for.

I am probably on a wild goose chase on this, but the family story goes, that my great grandmother was done out of her inheritance by her brothers (now found she had no brothers but she did have uncles). Her mother died when she was a few years old and it looks as though she was brought up by her grandmother.

The other story goes that there was family money in The Barton Arms.

So imagine my surprise when I find out that the grandmother she lived with (in 1881) was called Sarah Barton & her uncles were Bartons.

It left me wondering if the 2 were connected.

But I can't seem to find any history on why it was called the Bartons Arms.

Like I say a wild goose chase, but I really want to find out I am wrong so I can stop looking lol.

Vikki, if you have any surnames you think may have owned the pub, you might be lucky if you request a search in the Kelly's section for the relevant dates.:)

I looked on there last night, but didn't spot anything relevant for the Bartons Arms. I didn't spot how to search with a surname though, will be looking again!

Vikki: Good luck with your search on the Bartons. My grandmother on my Mother's side was Laura Barton from the Witton area and there was always talk in the family about a connection with The Barton's Arms. My grandmother was born in, I think, the late l800's. I don't know anymore sadly since my Mother ditched all her Mother's relatives and I never met any of them.

Vikki: Good luck with your search on the Bartons. My grandmother on my Mother's side was Laura Barton from the Witton area and there was always talk in the family about a connection with The Barton's Arms. My grandmother was born in, I think, the late l800's. I don't know anymore sadly since my Mother ditched all her Mother's relatives and I never met any of them.

hi Jenny,
I've not yet come across a Laura Barton, but research has been hard on that line. Do you know your grandfathers name at all?
I would like to talk more about this if your interested?
Please IM me & I will send u my email.
Vikki

Barton's Arms

prior to 1900 the Barton's Arms was run by a Thomas Fulford research so far from 1868 to 1880 there were several Barton family's around at this time but none with connections to the Barton's Arms just up from Potters Lane was a field called Barton's field or wood just by Birch wood Rod is trying to confirm more about this area
prior to 1868 there was a Fulford family as brewsters in Aston and Birmingham reference Kelly's

I always find it facinating with adresses. I have a death certificate for my gt grandfather's sister Ann Wilks who died in 1880 she lived at back of 275 Farm Street. This would be the back house of Thomas Fulford. The other Jennings's lived at no's 229,236,231. I believe my great grandfather owned one of these houses.

prior to 1900 the Barton's Arms was run by a Thomas Fulford research so far from 1868 to 1880 there were several Barton family's around at this time but none with connections to the Barton's Arms just up from Potters Lane was a field called Barton's field or wood just by Birch wood Rod is trying to confirm more about this area
prior to 1868 there was a Fulford family as brewsters in Aston and Birmingham reference Kelly's

excellant! I can rule out any connections to the Bartons Arms!

Thank you!

Thanks to everyone who has given me information, even if it still leaves the question as to where does the story come from lol

I wouldnt yet rule it out, a connection I mean. Genealogy has some very strange twists and turns.

I know my great grandfather, Charles George Smith, was licensee at the Barton's Arms in the early 1900's but not when. Does any one have a list of licensee's names? He also ran the roller skating rink at the Tower Ballroom for a few years.

Through the early 1900's Arthur Edge was publican? then in 1905 Seymour John Melhuish, and 1908 a guy called Henry Gomm. Maybe someone else has a Kellys showing your Grt Grandfather....

Looking again at Kellys I notice Arthur Edge is listed in more than one pub, the Acorn on Wheeler Street. Maybe he used your Grt Grandfather to manage the Bartons? this is a theory and needs more investigation. At least though its not so clear cut as I first thought Clarkey. Hope you can throw more light on it now. There is a archive I beleive kept at Burton on Trent I think for Mitchells and Butlers, this might be a way forward. Maybe getting in touch with one of the guys who have written about Birmingham pubs could be a another source of info?

The Barton Arms

from 1899 to 1950 no trace of a Charles Gordon Smith at the Barton Arms
have you any dates of birth or death for this person this would help in trying to pin point the date

Back