• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barton's Arms High Street Aston

33.jpeg

The interior of The Bartons Arms in thw 1970s

11~1.jpeg

It was first opened in 1901 and is seen here in 1981 after being restored to it's former magnicent condition.

xx~1.jpeg

Another one of The Bartons in 1967 when the underpass was being built for access to the shopping centre.

bartons arms aston.jpgpretty sure i have not seen this cracking pic of the bartons arms...i have a few more to add to this thread that we have seen before but they need reposting..will do this asap...

lyn

I have not been to Aston for a while. I heard in the news that this building was attacked in the riots last year. Does anyone know if the pub is still trading? I imagine that the brewery who invested a lot of time and money into the pub must be very disappointed to find that some of the local residents seem hell bent on wrecking the place.

yes its still very much up and running and doing very well..i popped in the a couple of months back..thank goodness the problems of last year was a one off..wonderful interior with wall to wall minton tiles..also minton tiles are on the floor round the side of the bar where the stairs are...i do have pic of them somewhere taken when they were discovered when the renovations of 1980s took place..they have since been recovered to preserve them...

lyn

That's good to hear. I must make an effort to get over and enjoy a beer in there again. I used to go regularly - well, a couple of times a year, after Oakham Ales re-opened the pub in the early-mid 2000's.

That's good to hear. I must make an effort to get over and enjoy a beer in there again. I used to go regularly - well, a couple of times a year, after Oakham Ales re-opened the pub in the early-mid 2000's.

you wont be disapointed...couple of years back i was in the bartons for the unveiling of a large framed photograph of laurel and hardy standing outside the pub in the 50s and got chatting to the ower of oakhams who came down special for the day...really nice person who has turned the bartons around..well thats just in my opinion..

lyn

Last edited:
you wont be disapointed...couple of years back i was in the bartons for the unveiling of a large framed photograph of laurel and hardy standing outside the pub in the 50s and got chatting to the ower of oakhams who came down special for the day...really nice person who has turned the bartons around..well thats just in my opinion..

lyn
The One show on BBC were in the Bartons tonight talking about Laurel and Hardy's final tour, anyone see it?. I think it said they stayed there, would that be true?..
https://laurelandhardythebritishtours.com/aston.html

So many photos of the Bartons so not sure if this one has been posted before, also you can see a bit of The Globe Opp.Image (260).jpg

There is a pic of them outside the Bartons, but whether they stayed there I don't know. Was there last week for a Thai meal and a great pint

hi folks i am starting a new thread for this pub as i think some of the photos have been lost or are under a different thread titles..be nice to keep them altogether

Looks like a good plan Lyn.

Hard to imagine it as it was now it looks isolated - a little Island of Old Style Elegance.

thanks for your photo of the bartons froth..it really is a wonderful pub inside and out...bernie i can remember the area as it was..there was a shop further up from the bartons on the same side that i used to go to buy my stockings i can see that shop now..up two big wooden steps... such a shame that the hippodrome had to go as both were great landmarks...if any other members have some new photos of the bartons pub we would love to see them...

lyn

Back