• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barton's Arms High Street Aston

Family stories tell of my great grandfather, a wealthy jeweller in the area, riding his horse to the pub on a Friday night, getting completely legless, and then falling off again on the way home. Unable to remount the horse in such a condition he'd ask a passing policeman for help and then give him a tip - sometimes a whole sovereign, which he'd then demand back the next day because it was a great deal more than was appropriate for the services provided! This became such a regular event, and as he was so well known locally, and so wealthy, they eventually renamed the pub after him. His name was Charles P Barton, born 1829, and he lived at Bearly Street West in the St Georges district.

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
There was a Charles Barton at 71 (back of) Brearley Street West in the 1876 and 1880 directories . Previously to that (1873) he was in Ford St (no number given). I gather he was an albert chain maker. i had to look that up, but then realised my grandfather had one , the guard chain that fitted to a pocket watch.
Mike

hi tyger.. what an interesting story... you have put your gg grandfather lived in bearly st west but i think you must mean brearley st west... if that is correct i too had ancestors living there so if you type in brearley st in the search box at the top of the page i have posted some pictures that you may find of interest.

regards

astonesss.:)

update regarding The Barton Arms prior to 1900

Aston new town. 1840
Arnold Mr. William
Baker Mr. James
Bartlam Chas. grocer and brush maker
Barton Arms, William Aston
Batkin Mr
Britain J. G. inspector of fire arms
Cameron James, excise officer
Cooper Thomas, maltster
Duke Mr. William
Edwards Wm. steel converter, improved
music steel, steel & iron
wire manufacturer. (Aston furnace mills)
Fisher J, Britannia metal ware manufacturer
Gee Mr. Thomas, adjuster of small
scale beams
Greener Wm. gun manufacturer
Hall William, carpenter
Hall William, shopkeeper
Henshaw Mr
Hardin Mr
Holder & Rlchard, pearl button manufacturer-
(Potter's meadow)
Lees Mrs
Lee Mr. Thomas
Lees Mr. John
Little Thomas, boot & shoe maker
Low Mr
Lockitt John modeIIer
Manton Mr William
Roden William, rnaltster
Siviter John jeweller
Snape Samuel, accountant
Sherwood Mr
Treadwell G R rail road contractor
Tayler John, modeller
Whitehead Josh. cabinet maker
Whitehead Thomas, cabinet maker
Wrlght Mr. Charles

I looked on there last night, but didn't spot anything relevant for the Bartons Arms. I didn't spot how to search with a surname though, will be looking again!
Hi vicky, I saw you,r comments on the barton arms, I too have been trying to find info on the barton arms around 1886, I think my grt grandfather was a landlord there around that time, he's name was albion hart, oh and we used to live in dulwich road[small world eh]

Going back a very long time my grandad used to entertain in the Bartons Arms under the name Will Bent, he was a comedian. I wonder does anyone remember this.

I also remember that when my grandparents were living in Newtown there were two other pubs, The Griffin and the Paddocks.

well it would be from 1920's onwards until around the early 1970's by which time he was blind and deaf but still funny, real name Charles Bennett - my gran and her sisters used to sing there too, the Lewis girls.

its a pity this pic is so dark on the left hand side but it was taken in 1902...love this one..:)

Attachments

• Aston Barton Arms Aston Potters Hill.jpg
    Aston Barton Arms Aston Potters Hill.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 35
Great pic, I like the decorative wrought iron work on the lamps and tram cable support poles.
Phil...:)

Fabulous picture Lyn :) The surroundings are so different now I don't think I would have recognised it. I definitely prefer the old view! Thanks for posting it.

Yes agree pollypops, great photo Lyn. Seeing the streets leading off from the pub makes me realise how much this was once very much part of the community. I only remember it in the 1970's, after much demolition of the surrounding area. Sadly by then it seemed very isolated. But I remember it was still a fantastic treat inside with much of the history still there to see. Lots of tiling and mahogany if memory serves and with the original bar with moveable boards to protect the identity of the drinker. Or did I imagine that after a few too many?? :rolleyes:

i love this pic too.and do have vague memories of being taken shopping along the high st up until i was about 5 and then we moved from paddington st to villa st and mom used the lozells road..wheeler st and the flat more for shopping.. viv we have had more than one meet up at the bartons so if you go to any of the meet up threads there are some interior pics of the bartons...shame that the sense of community spirit has now faded...

lyn

I've had a go at it, Lyn, but there is not a lot of improvement. There doesn't appear too much additional definition in the image to be revealed.

(I assume it is from a postcard; so there will be a limit as to how much detail is available. But is there any more in the original?)

Chris

Lyn

I cant do anything about the definition but I have lightened it up a little.

Phil

Edit. Reposting image -made slightly lighter and more defined. May vary from that previously posted here.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a go at it, Lyn, but there is not a lot of improvement. There doesn't appear too much additional definition in the image to be revealed.

(I assume it is from a postcard; so there will be a limit as to how much detail is available. But is there any more in the original?)

Chris

thanks for having a go phil and chris..no there is no more in the original im afraid..i was given a few old calenders so im cutting out the pub and street pics and scanning them...the more i look the more i find it hard to believe it looked like that....

thanks ell and topsy..we still have a telphone box in the same spot although back in the day there used to to two of them...missing in the horses trough that i remember so well...

lyn

Back