• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Barton Street, Birmingham 1881

Gill Wiseman

proper brummie kid
I am trying to help a friend with his family tree and he has a birth certificate for an ancestor showing a birth at 28 Barton Street, Aston Manor in 1881. There was no fathers name and the mother registered the birth using her parents home address of Park Lane.
Have been unable to find Barton Street so if anyone has come across this could they let me know where it was.
Thanks. Gill

Hi Gill,
It's been a long time since I was in this area but I believe Barton Street is behind the Barton Arms Pub, 144, High Street Aston. If you are in the neighbourhood have a drink for me.

If l remember right Barton Steet ran from Park Lane along the back of Burlington St School and came out at Potters Lane, just about facing the Barton Arms...........by the way is it still there??...Brenda

Yes I believe so, have just googled it and it has it's very own web site. I recall going to the is Pub in the seventies, its interior design is Victoriana at it's best and the beer was good too.

Bartons Bank (not a Bank)

Yes Brenda :) There is a "semblance" of Barton Street still there
although Modern housing re-development in situ..
Its A-Z ref 2G page 101,, Bartons Bank (ref to hilly section )
Yourself, John H & Tony are all spot on location & joining streets,
Going from Burlington Street junction at Newtown Row go up
Potters Hill behind the Bartons Arms (nip in for a swift half :D )
then stagger over Park Lane (going up towards Victoria Rd ) then Bartons Bank (small street now) on the left off Selston Road,,

Just a walking reminiscence for all,,, Cheers (hic) John Y :cool:

Every inch of Barton Street as gone.....Bartons Bank was never connected to Barton St....two complete different streets.....Barton Street was sandwich between Parklane and Burlington St......Bartons Bank ran between Whitehead Rd and Potters Hill...

Last edited:
Finding Barton Street in the 1881 Census

Thanks to all who have replied to my posting.
I have tried to find 28 Barton Street in the 1881 census with no success so far. Looked through several districts including 20 and 27 with no joy.
Found Barton Bank and Barton Place but no Barton Street.
If anyone ever comes across it I would be most grateful to hear.
Thanks
Gill

Barton street did not in exist in 1880 it was there in 1883 it must have been a developing stret as there were only three addresses for that year, bearing in mind it would have been 1882 when the 1883 was edited.
as any one got a Kelly's in between these dates ?

My relations, Downes, Clayton, Jones, Turner all 10 relations, lived at 84 Barton Street. I have just logged on to the 1921 census and the full address as transcribed is 84 Barton Street Aston. However,it has has been also put as 84 Weston Street Aston. just wondered why that would be? If anyone could help would be very grateful.

Back