• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bartley Green Senior School 1933 School Photo

printmeister

master brummie
I found this photo with my Dad's belongings after he died in 2001. The only person I know in the pic is my Dad's older brother Sidney Thatcher (Back row, 4th from the right).
Just wondered if the photo would be of interest to anyone else. I think the school was/is in Adams Hill.
I think I have a similar one with my Dad from around 1935, i'll post that too if I can find it.

Hi I am interested in your picture, my name is Allyson Lilly and I help run Bartley Greens local history Group and I would be love to see your other picture, then maybe I could show it to some of our members and they may be able to indentify other people for you on the photo,my e mail is [email protected] amd the history group website is www.woodgateandthevalleyhistorygroup.co.uk if you want to check us out.May I have permission to print this picture out, let me know.
Allyson

The only person I know in the pic is my Dad's older brother Sidney Thatcher (Back row, 4th from the right).
Were Sidney's parents called Harold and Bertha? A Sidney F Thatcher was in the Services during 1945. They lived at Nonsuch Farm. (I'm also a member of the Local History Group).

Were Sidney's parents called Harold and Bertha? A Sidney F Thatcher was in the Services during 1945. They lived at Nonsuch Farm. (I'm also a member of the Local History Group).

Yes, that's correct... I believe Sidney was in the RAF.
My grandparents were Harold and Bertha and they moved from Bristol to work at Nonsuch Farm (probably in the '30's). I've never been able to find out much about the farm, apart from it was (I believe) owned and run by Birmingham City Council.

John Thatcher.

Here's the other photo from 1935. My Dad, Raymond John Thatcher is far left back row.

It's so good to 'meet' up with someone whose family were at Nonsuch Farm. Your surname was mentioned several years ago by an old neighbour and friend Jim Ford (would have been 83) who went to George Dixon School and played football. I need to find the relevant paper but he said his friend was ... Thatcher who lived at Nonsuch Farm. Nonsuch Farm had been in existence for several hundred years, an old barn was described as 'ancient' when the Becketts took it over from the Council in the 50s.
Thanks for posting the latest photo. Words fail me! One of our older local residents recalled that the school had railings in front of it and this photo confirms it. What a difference to see all the trees across the road in Adams Hill. As Allyson, our Co-ordinator, mentioned above. Can we copy across and use in our displays? We will put you down as the source.
Regards
Maureen

It's so good to 'meet' up with someone whose family were at Nonsuch Farm. Your surname was mentioned several years ago by an old neighbour and friend Jim Ford (would have been 83) who went to George Dixon School and played football. I need to find the relevant paper but he said his friend was ... Thatcher who lived at Nonsuch Farm. Nonsuch Farm had been in existence for several hundred years, an old barn was described as 'ancient' when the Becketts took it over from the Council in the 50s.
Thanks for posting the latest photo. Words fail me! One of our older local residents recalled that the school had railings in front of it and this photo confirms it. What a difference to see all the trees across the road in Adams Hill. As Allyson, our Co-ordinator, mentioned above. Can we copy across and use in our displays? We will put you down as the source.
Regards
Maureen

Maureen, I'm in the process of uploading some pictures of Nonsuch Farm here:- https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?p=134581#post134581

As I've said to Allyson, please feel free to use them as you wish.

All the Best
John

Back