• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bartholomew’s ..... missed

db84124

Brummophile
I've just missed out on a 1952 edition of Bartholomew’s Pocket Atlas and Guide to Birmingham on eBay. :cry: I upped the bid from £0.99 to £5.
I hope I haven't trodden on a fellow member’s toes and that it went to a good home. Someone wanted it far more than I did. Pity ……. but good luck whoever it was. David

Hello there, Postie,
I'm still downhearted about not having won the "atlas and guide" :sorrow:. But no, it wasn't like the one above. This is the eBay photograph :

Bartholomew27s_Birmingham.jpg

View attachment 59202

..... and here's the description :

this is a bartholomews pocket atlas and guide to birmingham
dated 1952
it is a collectors item and is of used condition
the front of the book (the cover) has bubbling but the inside etc the
maps pages are in perfect condition

..... I would like to think that it's gone to one of our members; in which case my starting this thread was a form of apology for upping the price from 99p to over £5.
I would like to take this opportunity - which you've offered me by replying to my post - to ask if any member of the Forum has an unwanted or extra copy of Bartholomew's Pocket Atlas and Guide to Birmingham, I would willingly buy it at a reasonable, mutually agreed price and, of course, reimburse all postal and packaging charges.
Thanks, Jim,
Best regards, David

Last edited:
I know this post was some time ago but I am clearing through my mum and dad's house and found one of these and wondered if you (or anyone else) would like it ? This forum came up on a google search and I would be happy for it to go to a good home.

Bham28

Hello there, B28,
It's extremely kind of you to have got in touch after so many months having gone by. Thank you. I sent off my request almost a year and a half ago in October 2010 ..... to no avail.
That Christmas, however, I received a small package from a cousin in Northumberland. Her father had met and married my father's sister during the war. At that time my aunt was a nurse at the QE and my uncle was a law student in Oxford. I imagine he bought a copy of Bartholomew's wonderful map of Birmingham when he needed to get from Snow Hill to Edgbaston and back again. My cousin, having no use for the booklet - but not knowing anything at all about my interest - sent it on to me for my birthday on Boxing Day.
Unlike the copy I tried to buy on eBay, my copy is pristine. What's more, the copy on offer at auction was dated 1952; mine is 1947, the year of my birth! Aren't I lucky?
Thank you ever-so-much for your exceptionally generous offer.
Best wishes, David (db84124)

Hello there, thanks for the speedy reply and I am glad you got a copy and especially since it is from your year of birth. The one I have is 1952 but a lot better condition than the one you showed on ebay.
best wishes
Bham28

Bham28, If it's still available I would like to take up your generous offer, I will send you an IM.

Colin

Back