• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Barrows Stores

Hi all

I have recently stumbled across this forum and am interested in the history of Barrows Stores, particularly after uncovering the below enamelled sign during a building project. I have read much of the content on this thread so know the high level history/location of the stores but was wondering in particular if anyone recognised the sign, or would be able to date it.

I think its a really attractive thing and would love to know more. Any help much appreciated!
IMG-20220801-WA0000.jpg

Hi all

I have recently stumbled across this forum and am interested in the history of Barrows Stores, particularly after uncovering the below enamelled sign during a building project. I have read much of the content on this thread so know the high level history/location of the stores but was wondering in particular if anyone recognised the sign, or would be able to date it.

I think its a really attractive thing and would love to know more. Any help much appreciated!
View attachment 172834
What a great find

wwhiting28, I remember Barrows, I think they were an up market type of store, but I cannot remember how big they were, or how wide spread they were, certainly still around in 50's...

wwhiting28, I remember Barrows, I think they were an up market type of store, but I cannot remember how big they were, or how wide spread they were, certainly still around in 50's...
My Mother worked on the counters there around 60’s/70’s. The store was somewhere near the underpass to Lewis’s main entrance then as I remember.

As mentioned earlier, I worked there in 1956/7 on the veg counter. It was such a laugh, with the lads I worked with. The van, which carried the logo' "Barrows" Stores. Birmingham, used to deliver to the Streetly area, of Sutton, with one lettuce and a quarter of tomatoes! Just so they could have the van seen on their road. Yes...it really was a posh store. We had to wear celluloid collars, with studs, and striped waistcoats, and each counter had a pair of chairs for "Madame" to sit on, while we attended to her requirements. But it was a great place to work. Gerry.

Back