• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barra site

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
The BARRA site appears to have been interfered with. When you go to it, whichever link you click on you get the same text in Latin. Someone's idea of a joke
mike

Thanks Lloyd. Couldn't find it in my favourites, though it should be there somewhere, so googled it and clicked on first thing that came up.
mike

Please read my post above, Wendy. What you have seen (with the latin text) is a site under construction by https://www.2geedesign.com/index.html. The latin is a normal way of filling a blank unfinished web page until the real script is available. I don't know why it's taking so long to finish, there's no contact information for BARRA members other than a link to the unfinished site. Perhaps 2gee design could tell you why it's like that for so long.
The BARRA site as was is still at https://www.swanshurst.org/barra/

Thanks for the info Lloyd. I didn't realise they did that. Perhaps they have a problem with content thats what usually causes these problems. It's a shame it not up and running.

Lloyd and MJ a rough translation of the page Birmingham Air Raids Remembrance Association ( German war cry ) Lorem itself pain he is amet consectetuer to come up to elit. Duis ligula lorem , according to reason eget , to make sad and not , person responsible anyone , spotless. Vivamus when prefix meaning half-. Fusce some now life spotless. Eneus viverra malesuada to set free. Fusce and how. Up to the time when worthless. Now venenatis in fact and not how. Tomorrow faucibus , equity or to add to a heap some , region dui fringilla how , upon condimentum augue lorem not region. Pellentesque this bow not prefix meaning half- to please a thrower. Curabitur to lay pede life lacinia to add to a heap , in fact nibh first principle orci , when volutpat eros wise and not wise. To suspend worthless bow , avenging to make fit pellentesque he is amet ultricies when , itself. Mauris and eros eget was seneschal soft. Mauris laoreet to lay to hate. For itself ligula ullamcorper good fringilla but lacinia when augue. Nullam now. But and bed upon massa imperdiet tincidunt. With a ready worthless tortor , concern not euismod a , to come up to a , is. Mauris diam fear , various and not faucibus but faucibus concern , bed. For to lay lucky and urna. Vestibulum transitory vestibulum urna. Nullam fear. Vivamus and spotless. Nullam sometimes ullamcorper to set free. Sickness conveyance imperdiet equity. As yet soft fringilla before. Up to the time when and dui. A fleet of a hundred ships aptent silently sociosqu to to propitiate to turn very conubia our , very beginner hymenaeos. As yet mi to set free , lamentation and not , blandishments and rutrum and , bed.:D

It's a shame that it's visible at all in this form as it just confuses. I suspect that it's an error and someone hasn't realised that it has escaped into the wild. Or someone doesn't realise that this is already a well-known address in people's Favorites files.

It's fake Latin too. Gobbledygook, deliberately

Chris

It's a shame that it's visible at all in this form as it just confuses. I suspect that it's an error and someone hasn't realised that it has escaped into the wild. Or someone doesn't realise that this is already a well-known address in people's Favorites files.

It's fake Latin too. Gobbledygook, deliberately

Chris
I think your right Chris it has escaped into the wild :(whoever it was may have been checking latin phrases and posted that by mistake I would assume?:)I Did say it was a rough translation:)

Far far away, behind the word mountains, far from the countries Vokalia and Consonantia, there live the blind texts. Separated they live in Bookmarksgrove right at the coast of the Semantics, a large language ocean. A small river named Duden flows by their place and supplies it with the necessary regelialia. It is a paradisematic country, in which roasted parts of sentences fly into your mouth. Even the all-powerful Pointing has no control about the blind texts it is an almost unorthographic life One day however a small line of blind text by the name of Lorem Ipsum decided to leave for the far World of Grammar. The Big Oxmox advised her not to do so, because there were thousands of bad Commas, wild Question Marks and devious Semikoli, but the Little Blind Text didn’t listen. She packed her seven versalia, put her initial into the belt and made herself on the way. When she reached the first hills of the Italic Mountains, she had a last view back on the skyline of her hometown Bookmarksgrove, the headline of Alphabet Village and the subline of her own road, the Line Lane.

The 'Fake Latin' text is from a 'dummy text generator for web designers' on https://www.blindtextgenerator.com/ , as is the improbable story above!

Dear all,
The BARRA site is alive and well at www.swanshurst.org We are involved with another major project at the moment involving Brandwood End Cemetery but one of my tasks for the future is to add on the detail from the Fire Raid books which shows bomb damage in the city. You'll have to be patient with this because Brandwood is takin priority in the short term. We are very proud of our BARRA site and it is nearing 500,000 hits!!

Congratulations, Historynut, on being awarded an MBE in the New Year honours. It's very well deserved and we're all proud of you. It's great to hear of 'ordinary' people being recognised.

Well done, Doug, a brother to be proud of.

Thanks Dave, Wendy and Chris,
I am very humbled by the award as I know that there are many people out there who do equally good work but don't get recognised. I am working on the brandwood end site at the moment at www.swanshurst.org and am up to 1906. This is taking a lot of time but I have plans for the BARRA site which may involve creating another website to show bomb damage duribg the war. This requires a) the very clever Neil to create me a site and b) me being able to persuade a group of pupils to give up a dinner hour to help me input the data. There are also plans to expand the oral history website. the interview with the great Tommy Godwin is now uploaded.
Happy New Year to you all

oh well done and congratulations historynut (doug) on your very well deserved MBE in this years honours list..cant tell you how much i admire the BARRA site..all the hard work you and others have put into it ensures that the history of birmingham stays with us...good luck with the swanhurst site and i for one am looking forward to seeing the plans you have for the BARRA it sounds great...please dont feel humbled at your award...you jolly well deserve it...
:encouragement:
lyn

ps maybe your brother dave may bring you along to one of our forum meets ups this year...be great to meet you...

Last edited:
My dear Lyn,
How kind of you to say that! I owe a great deal to Neil Limbrick for his tachnological knowhow in creating the site for us. I am proud of he fact that it is nearing 500,000 hits because that means that those recorded are not being forgotten. As to meeting up for the forum meetings, it's a distinct possibility!
Best wishes,
Doug

thats great then doug...hope to see you in the near future...

and thanks again....

lyn

I notice all the many forum links which go to Barra via secure.swanhurst are not working. I'm not sure whether this is temporary.
Barra can be accessed directly but layout is different and links to particular records (as most previous forum links were) has to be done differently.
latest working link http://barra.historynut.co.uk/

Last edited:
Back