• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barr Street, Hockley

Bit hard getting the search to pick up Barr Street (this came up on Google search).

Time Works on Barr Street. Seen from the end of a subway near the Hockley Flyover and and Boulton Middleway. Can't find any info on this building, don't think it's listed.

Well Time Works is closest to Boulton Middleway. Why did they cut Barr Street in half when they built the middle ring road here? Could have put it in a tunnel?

Barr Street Hockley. Afternoon all, I am just starting on a project on Barr Street Hockley and would love any help you could give me in the way of buildings, photos etc. as I am starting from scratch. Thank you.Mary M

Bit hard getting the search to pick up Barr Street (this came up on Google search).

Time Works on Barr Street. Seen from the end of a subway near the Hockley Flyover and and Boulton Middleway. Can't find any info on this building, don't think it's listed.

Is that the Whistle Factory?

no that is time works...hudsons whistle factory is next door

Barr Street Hockley. Afternoon all, I am just starting on a project on Barr Street Hockley and would love any help you could give me in the way of buildings, photos etc. as I am starting from scratch. Thank you.Mary M
Two aerial views of Barr Street ...
View 1 taken in 1939 just before WW2 ... red markings shows junctions ....
Barr_Street_1939.jpg
above image is from 'britainfromabove' .... left click it and use '+' magnifier to zoom and scroll across it

View 2 a similar aerial view today
BarrSt_Now.jpg
They are wide images ... maybe best to save them and scroll across .... maybe someone can identify buildings in the 1939 image.

Last edited:
brill photos of barr st keiron...the one showing hockley chem...was that on the opposite corner to the woodman pub? if its the same hockley chem that i remember they moved further up in later years to the corner of vyse st and hockley hill i think it was

lyn

brill photos of barr st keiron...the one showing hockley chem...was that on the opposite corner to the woodman pub? if its the same hockley chem that i remember they moved further up in later years to the corner of vyse st and hockley hill i think it was

lyn
The factory was in Barr Street but, although this former shop was next to the works, it had an address of 214 Wells Street and faced the Woodman. I am pleased to report that it was once a cycle shop. During WW2 it was run by Harold Richards.

View attachment 148310
above image is from 'britainfromabove' .... left click it and use '+' magnifier to zoom and scroll across it

View attachment 148311
They are wide images ... maybe best to save them and scroll across .... maybe someone can identify buildings in the 1939 image.
View attachment 148310

View attachment 148311
THANK YOU VERY MUCH
hi lucy...just downloaded my files and i do have just the one pic of barr st houses..im not sure if you are looking for any perticular number but this pic is of the back of numbers 127 to 129...hope this is of help and will search for any more for you....dated 1958

lyn

hi lucy...just downloaded my files and i do have just the one pic of barr st houses..im not sure if you are looking for any perticular number but this pic is of the back of numbers 127 to 129...hope this is of help and will search for any more for you....dated 1958

lyn
Hi Astoness I worked in Barr Street about 1959 at Fattorinis, I would love to see this photo as I am researching Barr Street at the Moment.

here is the photo...which was lost when the forum was hacked some years ago..just as an aside my mom as a young girl worked at at fattorini working on badge enamelling...not quite sure where abouts in barr st the factory wasBarr Street Court No 127 - 129 22.12.1958.jpg

Last edited:
here is the photo...which was lost when the forum was hacked some years ago..just as an aside my mom as a young girl worked at at fattorini working on badge enamelling...not quite sure where abouts in barr st the factory wasView attachment 148467
Thank you for your help with this. I do appreciate it. Is is toilets, bins, washing outhouse?

I was 17 and worked on the Reception in the mornings and the Production Office in the afternoons. I was progress chasing and would have been in the enamelling workshops probably every afternoon, chasing orders. Fattorini's from memory was on the corner of Barr St and Harford Street.

A communal air raid shelter. I expect very many were built. Note the roof; there was a depression in it where the two reinforcing arches occurred which retained rainwater - and junk thrown up on the roof!. I suspect they meant that the roof was less prone to collapse compared with other flat roofed types.

Last edited:
Back