• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barr Street, Hockley

LucyJayne

knowlegable brummie
Hi All,

I'm actually trying to get hold of some photos of Barr Street in Hockley, either of just the road itself or the back to back houses that used to be there.
Does anyone have anything like this or do you know where I might be able to find some??

Thanks
Lucy:)

hi lucy...i will search my files for you later on but from memory i dont think i have any of barr st..

lyn:)

Thanks Lyn,

Fingers crossed eh?!
I have looked so hard for some and can't find any anywhere! I can only seem to find maps but no pics.

Lucy

dont give up lucy..they are out there somewhere..you could always try the central library...6th floor...archives dept...i have all my pics on disc and the min but will download them back onto the lap top later and have a look for you....

lyn

hi lucy...just downloaded my files and i do have just the one pic of barr st houses..im not sure if you are looking for any perticular number but this pic is of the back of numbers 127 to 129...hope this is of help and will search for any more for you....dated 1958

lyn

hi lucy...just downloaded my files and i do have just the one pic of barr st houses..im not sure if you are looking for any perticular number but this pic is of the back of numbers 127 to 129...hope this is of help and will search for any more for you....dated 1958

lyn

Lyn i have just noticed this fantastic photo you posted, do you have information as to what the building was ? It looks like a very ornate air-raid shelter with its roof of what looks like concrete ,
it looks too posh for the toilets ! or for the miskins ! more info would be great. Max

sorry max..ive no more info on that pic..i cant even remember where i got it from..:rolleyes:

lyn.

Ok Lyn. No problem. thanks for posting the photo i love it . Max

lucy this is the only one ive got showing a bit of the houses in barr st which is to the right of this pic...just to the left of the telegraph pole in well st you can see a little shop that was run by my nan from 1930 onwards..could be your nan and grandad went into the shop..

lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
Aww thanks for that, what a nice thought. Bet they didn't guess that 70 odd years later we would be on the Internet chatting about them!! Lol funny old world. Just wish you could go back in time sometimes don't you? To really find out what they talked and laughed about etc....I can dream

:)

lucy i spend a lot of time thinking about how it was back in the day...it would be a miracle if that house showing in barr st is your nan and grandads but it is possible with the help of mike our map expert to find out what number that was...do you happen to know the number of your nans house..

well in that case lucy it wont be the house showing in my pic but maybe if mike reads this thead he could post you a map of barr st showing where 4/55 was...if i come accross any pics will post them on here for you...i know what its like trying to find them of where our rellies once lived...

lyn

Lucy
No 55 was between Harford & Hockley Streets on the north side of the road, two doors away from the George & Dragon., and is marked in red. Back 55 was sometimes called Caourt 5 and hte houses are marked in blue. i would guess 4 back 55 would be one of the ones at the back.
Mike

map_c1913_Barr_st_no__55_and_back_55A.jpg

thats a new pub to me mike...thanks for the map...if i can find a pic of the george and dragon pub then it may just show no 55 with the entry leading to the back...

cheers mike...

lyn

Lyn
We have acheived something if we have found a pub you haven't heard of ! Here is the 1889 map on a larger scale

map_c_1889_George___Dragon_barr_st.jpg

anyone would think i like pubs mike..lol..i know for sure that i dont have a pic of this pub (as yet) thanks for the larger map it looks like the george and dragon was a fair size...will keep looking...

lyn

The courts between Barr St and Smith St were not there in 1824, indded Smith St did not then exist, and there seem to be few houses on Barr St. By 1839 there seem to be courts between the two roads, but the detail of the map does not allow as to confirm that they were the same as on the 1889 map

Back