• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Barr Beacon

Can get very blowy up there. Where we walk our little dog and Doe Bank the little park down the road from there. Galloped a horse many a time over there too happy memories.

I have some very nice photographs that were taken there in the 1930s of my Nan and Grandad, with my late father (when he was just a lad). It is nice to have the countryside so near to the city. As Pedrocut has said @ #368 they do claim that you can see 11-15 counties from there. I think that you would have to have a very clear day and very good eyes, to see anything near that many (as well as being able to know where one county ends and another one starts). I remember being told that as a schoolboy and trying to get my bearings. In the end, I gave up and just accepted that you could see "many a mile". ;)

I have some very nice photographs that were taken there in the 1930s of my Nan and Grandad, with my late father (when he was just a lad). It is nice to have the countryside so near to the city. As Pedrocut has said @ #368 they do claim that you can see 11-15 counties from there. I think that you would have to have a very clear day and very good eyes, to see anything near that many (as well as being able to know where one county ends and another one starts). I remember being told that as a schoolboy and trying to get my bearings. In the end, I gave up and just accepted that you could see "many a mile". ;)
how lovely to have those family photos john...they are so precious to have...i know many people who have very few or none at all

lyn

How far can you see from the top of Barr Beacon, a height of 227m ?

There is a site to calculate the distance to the horizon from an observation height. For 227m it calculates 53.8km. So presumably if we centre a compass on the map we would be able to find out how many counties.

Back